What's new

Conan (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yeah Steve, you got it.

I'd have to say If Arnold is not going to play it their are only a few actors that could (Wrestlers included since they are actors.)

HHH or the Rock would be acceptable to me but again my first choice is Arnold (Its not a tumor).

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I'm not a Rock fan, but I must admit that the Scorpian King looks a whole heck of a lot better then Kevin Sorbo in Kull. At least the Scorpian King will be R-rated? Right?

Oh well, I'm more of a RE Howard fan then an Arnold fan, so I'd see King Conan, no matter who plays him.... (but, for the record: Arnold IS Conan!)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
There's a difference Steve. Arnold can carry a movie. Rock couldn't carry a 30 minute cartoon. But besides Arnold, who are all these other bodybuilders you speak of. Don't say Steve Reeves. He sucked as well. Lou Ferrigno was even worse, but then he never starred in anything but The Incredible Hulk TV show, and he did great, but not because of his acting. All he did was go ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Other than that, all he did was star in straight to video and B movies. But in his defense, he has a speech impediment because he's deaf. Conan is different. This will be a blockbuster and an epic, if done right. It will be an event film. An no wrestler, especially Rock, should be associated with the leading role in that. Rock is no Arnold.
I don't mind smaller, less demanding roles for wrestlers, but no leading roles. Unless they can act, and I'm not talking about the wrestling kind of acting, then I don't want to see them leading a big film I want to see.
One last thing Steve. Arnold isn't some great actor. He's improved by leaps and bounds since his debut. He's great in action films and adventure films, and in comedy. I love him and most of his movies. But as for your argument, he's the only one that's parlayed a career for himself. So my argument still stands. No wrestlers who can't act in the leading role for what would be a huge, event film.:)

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
I think you missed my point entirely. What acting skills did Arnold Schwartzenegger display prior to starring in Conan the Barbarian? Stay Hungry? Pumping Iron?
Dismissing The Rock and other wrestlers simply because they aren't "leading men" types and then defending Arnold is absurd.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Dismissing The Rock and other wrestlers simply because they aren't "leading men" types and then defending Arnold is absurd.
Are you honestly comparing The Rock to Arnold? Well Steve, let me ask you. Do you want Rock to star as Conan in the new film, if it does indeed come out? And do you think Rock can carry a movie of this type? From the Scorpion King trailers, he looks terrible. He makes Jake Lloyd look brilliant(uh-oh, gotta stop hammering that kid).

Btw, what nationality is Rock?

Okay Robert, you got me. He starred in both. However, he never really made much of a career for himself in acting, at least as Arnold has done. And the Incredible Hulk is the only thing of any significance he's starred in. But again, I can't come down too hard on him. He's deaf and has a speech impediment, although for someone basically born deaf, he's learned to speak rather well.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
You're opinion, and one that I disagee with. I'm too lazy and tired right now to tell you why, but it wouldn't change your stance anyway.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
OK guys watch Conan the Barbarian and count how many lines he had.

You won't need more than your fingers and toes.

Most of Arnolds acting was done with a sword. He was great but I feel the rock would do fine. also.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, more power to you. But if you wouldn't mind Rock, fine. I don't want him within 100 miles of the film. I'll take Arnold. But again, it's not all about dialogue. But you can bet this film will have way more dialogue than the first two. But again, it's not all about dialogue. It's about body language and the ability to carry a film. Rock can't do that. Arnold can. Besides, isn't Conan white?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I guess we differ on that. From the looks of it, he can't carry Scorpion King. But how can you have a black Conan? You can't, because he's not black. It seems the wrestling fans believe Rock is good enough to carry a movie. I believe after Scorpion King flops, the Rock is done in Hollywood, at least for leading roles. All just my opinion of course. :)

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
My only question is this. How in the world is Arnold, at his age going to be able to portray Conan, who is massive and not old? I loved Arnold in the original Conan, and he did a great job, but there's no way he can put back on the muscle, and look young enough to play this role. However, I don't know who else could come close to portraying Conan
In the original Conan stories, Conan was in his late 40's early 50's when he became king. As far as Arnold putting on mass to play Conan again, if anyone could do it Arnold could. That guy has more drive and determination than most professinal athletes. He lost 30lbs in a month for Staying Hungry then got it all back after shooting was all over to go win Mr. Olympia. Granted he is older now but I'll bet he still got what it takes.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yes but lets not forget the steroids he used back then.

There's only so much the body can do and while Arnold isn't that old his body has alot of miles on it and it might not be helping the issue if he were to try.

I just hope they don't use a body double.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I guess so, but Bill's right. Every pro bodybuilder uses steroids, because they couldn't complete otherwise. You can't get that freakish without it. But I doubt Arnold would use steroids now, and at 50 packing on some pounds would be difficult, especially muscle mass. I know arnold can do it easily in terms of acting and carrying the film. My only concern was he is considerably smaller now. And even though Conan was older, he was still a massive man. Oh well, if they do it I'm sure they'll figure out how to do it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the same thing. But I hope that isn't the case. Arnold can do it. But he better get busy.

We are gonna get a CGI Hulk, from what I've heard. Nobody can portray Hulk as the comics intended him to be.

King Conan, latest news!
Schwarzenegger says that John Milius is re-writing the script as we speak. He had written it and it was a 168-page script. But the Wachowski brothers (The Matrix) told him that it would take too much time to make it. It would be like a 3 1/2 hour movie. So they are cutting it down to a 120-page script. But its going to take time."
Source:
Link Removed

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Well... what the hell is wrong with a three and a half hour King Conan movie??? ... man, King Conan... ooh, that feels so cool to say... King Conan... KING Conan... King CONAN... ARGH! This movie must be made, with Arnie as King Conan... there it is again... King Conan. Cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks