Conan the barbarian - sound issue

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rick bie, Sep 8, 2003.

1. rick bie

rick bie Stunt Coordinator

I just watched the newest (extended version) release of Conan the barbarian on DVD and it is supposedly Dolby surround sound and I believe Dts. My receiver(Denon1803) usually will set up to the audio format the movie is in automatically. For the whole movie it stayed in Stereo (not 6 channel) and it did not even show Dolby for a option if I attempted to over ride to another format. If I set it to PLII it seemed that all the sound was center speaker. Has anyone else had this happen with this disc?

Rick

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    The disc has only a DD 2.0 mono track. Your disc and equipment behaved as they should.

DJ

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

If the R1 "Collector's Edition" of this fantastic movie had a 5.1 option or even just a true stereo option I'd watch this movie a lot more than I normally do. The purists might cringe at this but the mono crap turns me off to watching the movie and hearing that wonderful score in mono should be a crime.

4. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    there is a 5.1 soundtrack for conan the barbarian for region 4.. I have it. Its very nice.

JACOB

5. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I thought the reason they didnt add a 5.1 track to this release was that the original elements were in such poor shape that they couldnt properly restore it.

6. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Nothing wrong with hearing a film as it was originally released. I would like to see the mono track cleaned up a bit. It's not bad, but could use some sweetening. Multichannel remixes aren't always preferable. I've heard some really bad 5.1 mixes of mono and stereo films. I've also heard some great ones. CONAN has the potential to be cool. It all depends on whether or not they could find enough of the original sound stems to do a proper remix. I'm not against a remix as long as the original is avaiable.

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

9. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I was wondering if any Conan fans had a chance to check out KULL (1998 Universal release with Kevin Sarbo as R.E. Howard's other famous sword slinger).

DVD is suppose to be fantastic as far as audio/video, but script/directing are not so great.

10. Frank@N

11. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the region 2 and 4 of conan the destroyer has both 5.1 and enhanced for widescreen. I have both.

JACOB

12. Frank@N

13. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    not to change the subject. I am working to get an uncut version of conan the destroyer released. a special edition with cut footage. e-mail at universalstudios&[email protected]
    I have a site on actress sarah douglas from conan the destroyer. alot of her scenes were cut for a PG rating including a love scene with arnold. www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
    PS: anyone seen this picture. I am looking for a larger version of this picture.. thanks.
    http://www.schwarzenegger.it/loca15.jpg
    JACOB

14. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

15. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I have been working to get an SE of conan the destroyer released on dvd. hopefully be enhanced for widescreen and have 5.1 sound. if you write the e-mail. the more people write.. the better chance something will happen. look at scarface and other titles from universal.

JACOB