Conan The Barbarian: SE - why no 5.1 audio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I watched this tonight and have to say that the transfer, besides some grain in the blue sky scenes, was excellent. I was very impressed. The documentary was very good, as well.
    But, why wasn't there a 5.1 audio mix on this disc considering the effort put into this disc. The two channel, while original I assume, was very hollow sounding.
    Listening to this movie in a solid 5.1 mix would have been awesome.
    [Edited last by Dave H on September 23, 2001 at 09:58 PM]

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Around time of release it was said the original elements were in so bad condition(or lost, cant remember) to do a 5.1 remix.
    Too bad....that is one music score BEGGING for 5.1
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan Second Unit

The film was never released in stereo in the theatres. I had a print of the movie and it was mono of course. I dont think they ever had any additional materials, but a new soundtrack wouldve been nice I agree.

4. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

There is no 5.1 soundtrack on the DVD because the film has a mono soundtrack. How would 5.1 encoding of a mono soundtrack be effective without altering the original intent?
    [Edited last by Scott Dill on September 25, 2001 at 12:39 AM]

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Mark Roger

Mark Roger Agent

This could have been a great release if the sound track could have been 5.1.
    I find this disc difficult to watch due to the crappy audio sound. I have tried to sit through it a few times but sooner or later the nasty audio sound drives me to hit eject.

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
  8. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Stereo has really spoiled this world. Some films are in mono. Some GREAT films. To not enjoy them is simply absurd. I've watched my CONAN dvd twice and loved it both times. The lack of stereo surround never bothered me.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

9. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I say Thank you Universal! [​IMG]
    I am so god damned sick of this 5.1 remix crap that studios have been pumping out at the cost of the original soundtrack. If Universal had included a 5.1 track they would not have even bothered to include the mono mix, Past history shows this to be the case with most all Universal & Warner dvds.
    The Kubrick collection v.2 could have been great but the 5.1 junk knocks it down to being merely okay. Sure the new mixes have made most Home Theater geeks happier than a pig in shit to have sound coming out of all their speakers, But Mr. Kubrick is rolling over in his grave.
    Classic mono and Dolby Surround films should not be pumped up on 5.1 steroids to sound more like the majority of todays big dumb lumbering idiot films.

10. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Well, I never said stereo SURROUND although I can see why that's implied. It's funny, people think that just because it was released in mono that it should stay in mono, but in the meantime poor Basil Palidorous' score suffers compared to the original stereo masters.
    I never even said I wanted 5.1, just that the music get opened up a bit like it deserves to.
    Mike
    ------------------
    Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
    Desktop pic of NYC

11. Matt_Stevens

Basil's score is better in stereo, but the fact is the audio elements were in bad shape, so a 5.1 track was not created. Most music tracks for film are usually kept in vaults and protected, as they can be used for soundtrack releases. A shame the normal sound elements do not get such care.
    ------------------

12. James T

James T Screenwriter

I thought I remembered someone on this forum saying awhile back that Basil wanted to get payed extra money to have his score remixed to 5.1 and since they weren't going to pay extra money, that was the reason for not having a 5.1 track

13. Matt_Stevens

Rubbish. He wouldn't get a dime if they did it. Studios can remix to their heart's content.
    ------------------