What's new

CONAN THE BARBARIAN & CONAN THE DESTROYER Coming To Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek

Actually it is partially. The original stereo tapes for much of Conan The Barbarian were not well preserved and about 1/4 of its score has completely deteriorated.

The original master multitrack tapes of Basil's score are not deteriorated and are playable (they recently were in fact). but to have Basil's score in stereo for a video release of Conan the Barbarian would involve remixing the music and assembling overdub elements etc. Not likely to occur for the Blu-ray release due to costs involved. (Which is why it wasn't done for the DVD release a few years ago).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Before I get boo'd out of the thread I should explain why I voted for Destroyer. I saw it first when I was 13 and was just smitten with Olivia d'Abo. Having (finally) matured and seen both films Conan is the better film, but in honor of that summer where I wore out a VHS tape of Destroyer I had to vote for it...
The character always struck me as a brainless, incompetent bimbo who didn't appeal to me. I loathe Conan the Destroyer because it reeks of having been put together by a committee of studio execs with zero artistic considerations involved, only commercial ones.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by moovtune

The original master multitrack tapes of Basil's score are not deteriorated and are playable (they recently were in fact). but to have Basil's score in stereo for a video release of Conan the Barbarian would involve remixing the music and assembling overdub elements etc. Not likely to occur for the Blu-ray release due to costs involved. (Which is why it wasn't done for the DVD release a few years ago).

Eh? As I said above, the Fox region 2 DVD was true stereo.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by RobertR

The character always struck me as a brainless, incompetent bimbo who didn't appeal to me. I loathe Conan the Destroyer because it reeks of having been put together by a committee of studio execs with zero artistic considerations involved, only commercial ones.

A fine, fine actress, that d'Abo girl.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'd rather seem them use the new Raine recording if possible because its supposed to be "closer" to what Basil was trying to do with the score in the first place.

The problem is it doesn't synch very well to the film.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
As I figured, I'll be waiting to pick up the first film when the price drops under $15- but I happily pre-ordered Destroyer and watched it almost immediately. Yeah, I can honestly say I unabashedly love this film. Despite having seen it plenty of times, it still never fails to entertain me- and The Bd is about as massive an upgrade over the 16:9 R4 disc I have, as just about any title I've ever seen. In the dark sequences there is a flurry of grain- but it's some of the most natural and analog looking grain I've seen. By contrast I recently watched the Taxi Driver Bd for the first time and the grain in the darker scenes on that looked very edgey and electronic to me. All the DVDs I've seen of this film have been highly soft. I thought, based on the quality of the light refractions in the film, that this softness was simply due to how it was filmed. It's clear now the standard def releases were filtered and noise reduced up the wazoo. Very few scenes/shots on the Bd were actually soft or hazy (though there are a couple). Fine detail is remarkably high which allows the under-rated William Stout conceived production design to really shine. One of the few releases I can say I'm extremely happy and satisfied with as far as A/V goes.
RobertR said:
In the dialogue, it's revealed her character has been raised from birth to be a sacrificial goat. She's been so sheltered, that she doesn't even know any men apart from her attendant protector. For a 15 year old cloistered, manipulated princess, I found D'abos performance to be perfectly fine, and actually quite nuanced in comparison to some similar characters in other films. For example, just the night before I watched For Your Eyes Only again. After having read here about the original conception of the villain for this entry, it's now perfectly clear to me that the Lynn Holly Johnson character was intended to be much younger. The producers obviously lost their nerve, but didn't bother to rewrite the part for an older actress. Casting a 20ish year old actress in that part makes the character come across as functionally retarded. Had she been cast younger (lke D'abos age in CTD), there still would have been problems buying any attraction to Moore's 50ish Bond, but the dialogue and petulant manner would have made a lot more sense coming from a precocious, wannabe bad girl adolescent rather than a insufferably coy 20ish woman. As far as the committee mentality/zero artistic consideration for Destroyer goes- again, the purpose of this film is Saturday Matinee entertainment. It's based on a story by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conaway- two writers who were instrumental in the Marvel comics adaptation of the character. The film is very much in the quest/adventure spirit of the later comics run I read. I don't bemoan the lack of gravitas in something like Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad or one of Weismullers Tarzans, and I don't feel it's absence here either. The entire scope of the production is done with a high degree of workman-like professionalism. That's not a dig - when so much current theatrical fantasy is so damn insufferably dark and gritty and pretentious nowadays, I find this movie a great throwback. I could quibble about editing an obvious 'joke' line here or there, but it would be nit picking. This doesn't set out to be a pretentious 'saga' (thank God)- it's just a simple adventure entry. I'm sure I won't convince anyone that hates, but when so much of the 80s fantasy output is a wasteland to me (I'm looking at you Return Of The Jedi, Superman 2 & 3, amongst many others) this one has held up beautifully for me. And I don't mind saying so.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Scott said:
In the dialogue, it's revealed her character has been raised from birth to be a sacrificial goat. She's been so sheltered, that she doesn't even know any men apart from her attendant protector.
Making her an ignorant bimbo doesn't make it any better for me. :)
As far as the committee mentality/zero artistic consideration for Destroyer goes- again, the purpose of this film is Saturday Matinee entertainment.
In a strictly paint-by-numbers-marketing-way, yes. You could almost hear the committee of studio execs talking about the "need" to cut the film to a PG rating, to get rid of the "excessive" violence, and to insert a character whose role is almost solely comic relief. I've been reading the original Robert E. Howard stories, and Conan the Barbarian is very much in their bloody, savage spirit, even if Arnold doesn't fully capture how cunning Conan is. Destroyer sacrifices that to put youngsters in the seats.
so much current theatrical fantasy is so damn insufferably dark and gritty and pretentious nowadays
I wouldn't call the Conan stories pretentious, but they're not lighthearted kiddie stuff, either. Arms get hacked off, guts get spilled, supple, comely young topless women abound. The first movie depicted all of that quite well. NO such stuff is to be found in Destroyer (I think of the title more as "Conan Destroyed", actually). By the way, the writers you mentioned hated the finished film. They obviously had no use for what the studio execs had done.
I'm sure I won't convince anyone that hates
I'm sure neither if us will convince the other, Paul. I'm just glad we can make our own choices.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I watched the US version of CTB tonight. There were very noticeable halos in a number of scenes, enough to make me wonder if I should get the UK release to compare. The sound is a MAJOR improvement over the DVD. The magnificent score comes through very well. I know there was a lot of speculation on exactly which cut the US release is. The answer is....it's the international cut that was on the DVD, except that it's missing the scene prior to the ending battle where Conan talks about his childhood. I like it better than either previous cut. One more thing: In the scene at the end where Conan sneaks up on Thulsa Doom, every previous video of the movie I had seen (HBO, DVD) showed what looked like hair in the frame. That's now gone, so it tells me it really is a new transfer.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
RobertR said:
I watched the US version of CTB tonight. There were very noticeable halos in a number of scenes, enough to make me wonder if I should get the UK release to compare. The sound is a MAJOR improvement over the DVD. The magnificent score comes through very well. I know there was a lot of speculation on exactly which cut the US release is. The answer is....it's the international cut that was on the DVD, except that it's missing the scene prior to the ending battle where Conan talks about his childhood. I like it better than either previous cut. One more thing: In the scene at the end where Conan sneaks up on Thulsa Doom, every previous video of the movie I had seen (HBO, DVD) showed what looked like hair in the frame. That's now gone, so it tells me it really is a new transfer.
So this is kind of a hybrid cut? Or was that extra scene between Conan and Subotai just added for the special edition DVD? In that case, are there actually three slightly different versions, then? Sorry; I really don't know either of these movies very well, but I'm always fascinated by alternate cuts of movies and how they came to be.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Bryan Tuck said:
So this is kind of a hybrid cut? Or was that extra scene between Conan and Subotai just added for the special edition DVD? In that case, are there actually three slightly different versions, then? Sorry; I really don't know either of these movies very well, but I'm always fascinated by alternate cuts of movies and how they came to be.
It’s my understanding that the “I had a bad childhood” scene with Subotai was part of the international cut. So yes, this can be thought of as a third version. I never much cared for that scene, but I did like the added scenes with the princess at the end, so I consider this the best version of the three.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
There are three versions. 1. The US Theatrical version (126 Mins.) 2. The International version (129 Mins.) which is presented on the US Blu-ray. 3. An additional scene was added by John Milius (as described above) to the Collector's Edition DVD (130 Mins.) This version is on the UK Blu-ray.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
gomezfan69 said:
There are three versions. 1. The US Theatrical version (126 Mins.) 2. The International version (129 Mins.) which is presented on the US Blu-ray. 3. An additional scene was added by John Milius (as described above) to the Collector's Edition DVD (130 Mins.) This version is on the UK Blu-ray.
Thanks for the clarification. Interesting. However, according to this DVD Talk review, there's another issue. Apparently, the choral elements in the score for a couple of scenes have been omitted in the Blu-ray's 5.1 mix. I would say, "Surprise, surprise; another Universal Blu-ray with some missing music," but apparently, Fox's European DVD from several years ago had the same issue. Again, I don't remember the movie that well; I know those choral sections are loud and full on the soundtrack album, but have they perhaps always been mixed down in the movie (in any of the versions)?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Those audio issues are annoying and frustrating. Was it THAT hard to get the audio right??? This is one of the greatest scores in film history, and they do THIS to it? Astounding idiocy and incompetence. I'd love to see this fixed, although I know the chances are remote. It would be difficult for me to watch the Blu Ray the way it is.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Anyone has any idea what this could be?
A repackage to go along with a digital code? (since the original release is not OOP)
www.amazon.com/Conan-the-Barbarian-Blu-ray/dp/B01AHWLXH4

The ONLY correct version of Conan in the world is the French steelbook (which contains both films and also contains the original mono) and is OOP unfortunately.
All the other releases had these errors to sum up:
-missing choral elements and percussion from certain cues
-a night scene was missing a filter and seemed like day

Although the French steelbook corrected these things and included all instruments, still the 5.1 audio wasn't as good as the one in the US release.
it sounded like an expansion of a mono/stereo track, and not compiled from different elements as the US track.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Probably just a repackage. I really wish Shout would give these a look, especially the director's cut of Barbarian that isn't on blu.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Before I get boo'd out of the thread I should explain why I voted for Destroyer. I saw it first when I was 13 and was just smitten with Olivia d'Abo. Having (finally) matured and seen both films Conan is the better film, but in honor of that summer where I wore out a VHS tape of Destroyer I had to vote for it...
Well, I was 34 when I saw this and I had massive crush on d'Abo also. Plus, she was just icing on the already wonderful cake of THE WONDER YEARS series. Plus, I simply love the name "Olivia."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks