Conan the Barbarian CD. Wow!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Garrett Lundy, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Just for shits & giggles, after years of non-use, I decided to throw this old CD into the player while breaking in my new PSB loudspeakers.

Holy crap this is a great CD! I didn't even make it through all of track 2 as background music before I was compeled to re-start the disk and do some critical listening.

This has got to be basil Poledouris' best work of his career IMHO. The mix of tons of brass, a full chorus and kettle drums! [​IMG] (And he'll basically recycle this sound in almost every action movie soundtrack).

It is a terrible, terrible shame that this work is currently out of print (Amazon does has an import version available). But at least it leaves room for a re-mastered re-release! (heres hoping)

I think a hybrid SACD with a multichannel mix would sell well. And I think there may be a slight problem with the mix, as none of the drums seem to get my subwoofer to work. Oh well, what'ya gonna do with a 22 year old disk!

[​IMG]

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Just for shits & giggles, after years of non-use, I decided to throw this old CD into the player while breaking in my new PSB loudspeakers.

Holy crap this is a great CD! I didn't even make it through all of track 2 as background music before I was compeled to re-start the disk and do some critical listening.

This has got to be basil Poledouris' best work of his career IMHO. The mix of tons of brass, a full chorus and kettle drums! [​IMG] (And he'll basically recycle this sound in almost every action movie soundtrack).

It is a terrible, terrible shame that this work is currently out of print (Amazon does has an import version available). But at least it leaves room for a re-mastered re-release! (heres hoping)

I think a hybrid SACD with a multichannel mix would sell well. And I think there may be a slight problem with the mix, as none of the drums seem to get my subwoofer to work. Oh well, what'ya gonna do with a 22 year old disk!

[​IMG]

3. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Agreed that this is one of the all-time great movie scores. Poledouris outdid himself here, and set the bar for all action/fantasy scores since.

What's amazing about the score is not just the intense, battle-oriented pieces; the quieter tracks have a real beauty and transcendence to them as well: "Wifeing" and "Theology/Civilization" are wonderful, wonderful tracks.

Thankfully, I bought the Varese-Sarabanda release of this a decade ago, after having owned the LP for many years.

4. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Agreed that this is one of the all-time great movie scores. Poledouris outdid himself here, and set the bar for all action/fantasy scores since.

What's amazing about the score is not just the intense, battle-oriented pieces; the quieter tracks have a real beauty and transcendence to them as well: "Wifeing" and "Theology/Civilization" are wonderful, wonderful tracks.

Thankfully, I bought the Varese-Sarabanda release of this a decade ago, after having owned the LP for many years.