What's new

Blu-ray Review Conan The Barbarian Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I know it's been a while, but was anything ever done to correct the issues on this release? Universal is not known for fixing problems on their discs, but it does seem like they've been making efforts to do better recently.

If nothing else, maybe a new release down the line somewhere? One with the US and international cuts seamlessly-branched and possibly even an option to watch the "extended" international version from the old DVD (usually standard operating procedure for Universal on movies with multiple versions), the original mono track, a corrected 5.1, and a properly-filtered day-for-night scene.

Just wondering if anyone's heard anything. I think the interest would be there.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
Bryan Tuck said:
I know it's been a while, but was anything ever done to correct the issues on this release? Universal is not known for fixing problems on their discs, but it does seem like they've been making efforts to do better recently.

If nothing else, maybe a new release down the line somewhere? One with the US and international cuts seamlessly-branched and possibly even an option to watch the "extended" international version from the old DVD (usually standard operating procedure for Universal on movies with multiple versions), the original mono track, a corrected 5.1, and a properly-filtered day-for-night scene.

Just wondering if anyone's heard anything. I think the interest would be there.
Bryan,

Apparently there is a corrected French release that Fox issued with the original mono soundtrack and corrected 5.1 and day-for-night scene. Unfortunately, it is only the extended international version (no seamless branching for theatrical cut). Here is the Amazon.fr link:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00DRFJNOE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=bluraycom05-21

Discussion on another forum has confirmed that this set is region-free.

Bonus is that you get the SE of Conan the Destroyer that has not been released in the US.

So still not the definitive HD release we would like to see, but at least it corrects the worst of the horrible botch job of the US release.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
YanMan said:
Bryan,

Apparently there is a corrected French release that Fox issued with the original mono soundtrack and corrected 5.1 and day-for-night scene. Unfortunately, it is only the extended international version (no seamless branching for theatrical cut). Here is the Amazon.fr link:

Bonus is that you get the SE of Conan the Destroyer that has not been released in the US.

So still not the definitive HD release we would like to see, but at least it corrects the worst of the horrible botch job of the US release.
Unfortunately the 5.1 track (though it has corrected the music cues) is not good at all! Far from the 5.1 track that is in the uncorrected releases.
it's like a stereo track expanded to 5.1. No bass, no clarity, not anything..
That's why it is correct now.
I supposed it wasn't created like in the original Bluray release, from combining the different elements (thus forgotting to put in a few)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
YanMan said:
Bryan,

So it corrects the problems with the chorus levels and such that were in the US Blu Ray? Are there any censorship issues with the French release?

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
RobertR said:
So it corrects the problems with the chorus levels and such that were in the US Blu Ray? Are there any censorship issues with the French release?
I have not picked up this release yet so I can't personally confirm it, but I don't believe there are any cuts for censorship based on the discussion I referred to previously. I think only the UK version is censored for the horse falls.

And as Konstantinos mentioned, the corrected 5.1 is supposedly very deficient in sound quality compared to the original defective 5.1 track, although it does restore the missing chorus parts. But having the original mono track available negates that, IMO.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
YanMan said:
I have not picked up this release yet so I can't personally confirm it, but I don't believe there are any cuts for censorship based on the discussion I referred to previously. I think only the UK version is censored for the horse falls.

And as Konstantinos mentioned, the corrected 5.1 is supposedly very deficient in sound quality compared to the original defective 5.1 track, although it does restore the missing chorus parts. But having the original mono track available negates that, IMO.
Thanks so much for the information. I'd be content with a Blu Ray that had the original mono track. I'll likely pick this up (and sell the second movie, which I have no interest in).

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Be careful, though: as it was mentioned by some members to play the uncut version you have to play the Bluray in either an A region player, or if it's B region you have to pick a language other than English for the menus.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are edge halo's on this release, this is clearly a Universal title, a number of scenes exhibit the Universal look.

Just my opinion, other people may disagree but i think Universal likes to sharpen too much on many of it's catalog titles.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I popped this title in today. It's absolutely dated. There's a huge amount of edge enhancement throughout with lots of electric noise. I'm still disappointed about the botched soundtrack. I hope Universal revisits this title as a 4K release providing the OCN wasn't destroyed in the fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks