What's new

Conan O'Brien (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or does Conan blow Letterman and Leno out of the water? I'm not the only one who feels this way, actually just about everyone I know is a Conan fan even my mom. Letterman and Leno need to take some notes I think before they lose their job to the ConeDawg.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I think Conan is easily the funniest out of those 3 but the problem is that over here Conan is on Cable which I only watch if i'm at my old mans house, Letterman is the only American talk show on free-to-air and I usually watch him every night, he is pretty damn funny as well. Now Leno, I just don't find the guy funny.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I agree. I grew up watching Letterman in "Late Night" on NBC, and back then Letterman was the King for me with his offbeat humor and edgy sketches. I haven't watched Dave in a while so I flipped over and they were doing a "comedy" sketch called "Will It Float?" where they dumped things into water to see....(drum roll please)...if they would float. (Yawn). Wow, that was bad...

Conan's sketches are not only funny, but he's the quickest wit I've seen during interviews too. I know all of them on talk shows pre-plan these interviews and such, but Conan gets off some quick one liners that at least look like they're done instantly....great stuff.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
In Leno's defense, I've seen him perform live and the guy is an absolute riot! The Tonight Show does constrain him a bit...

I also agree that Conan has the best show. How could you not love a show with Triumph, Pimp-bot 5000, and the Masturbating Bear?

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I still find Leno the best of the three.

My 21 year old daughter is home for the summer and enjoys Conan a lot, but still prefers Leno.

I think Conan appeals more to viewers in teens up through 30's. To me his jokes are sophomoric. They are predictable and I've heard them all before. Not that this is bad because he has a younger audience that finds this fresh. He just appeals to a different crowd.

I think Leno busts out the fresher takes with his guests and gets bigger and more sustained laughs from his audience.

Now I'll have to watch both tonight and take notes to support my points.

I do like Conon's opening theme the best of all the shows.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I enjoy Conan, but I really like Leno. For some reason I've never really carred for Letterman :frowning:
Late nite comedy is so much like speakers, not every agrees on who/what's the best :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Conan has some great skits, but his little standup stuff is rather lame. Still, Triumph is great though, and he does a pretty good job with the interviews. I also like his self-deprecating humor, I remember a bit where he went around and tried to find people who watched his show (it took a while :)).
My favorite is Leno. Goodnatured jokes, and I like the stupid marijuana jokes he always does about Kevin. He's just funny, not "funny".
Letterman is "funny", not funny. The "Will it float" bit is just not funny, even if he knows it isn't. That's how most of his stuff comes across to me: "Yeah, I know this sucks, but since I KNOW that, it's OK". But he does great interviews, something that Leno isn't very good at, IMO.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Conan is easily the greatest.

I like Letterman, but I do get tired of the nonsense ("We've got Rotating Pies!") and when Letterman refers to a joke or something over and over and OVER!

SNL did a good job of making fun of this with the "Hey, uuuhhh... got any gum!?"

"huh huh got any gum!?"

By the way did I mention......."ROTATING PIES!!"

"Got any gum?"

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Conan has the best bits. So far, nothing beats: when he takes his desk for a drive with an audience member, he himself goes on location (to Ireland, for instance), and Triumph The Insult Comic Dog, of course.

Conan isn't afraid to break into a jig, striptease, impression, or (overly) dramatic movement at any time to get laughs from the guest, the studio audience, and the home audience.

Real Name
John Doroshenk
I love conan, I'm a die hard letterman fan as well, I think the two are way better than leno. Any comedian that has to explain his jokes after he's done, is just annoying to me. I haven't watched him in a couple of years, is he still doing the same bill and hilary jokes that got old before his second term? And Jay-Walking, these people are faking stupidity to be on TV. I wish Letterman would do the Rupert G undercover thing more often, that killed me. Like the time he sent him to a movie theater and had him buy 10 to 40 tickets for every showing of show girls, man I was dying. Truimph and the masturbating beer have me rolling on the floor when its over. On leno, oh wow, a newspaper has an ironic headline, let me laugh.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Conan has the best skits by far. As for everything else, I think Leno is the best.

~T

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
And Jay-Walking, these people are faking stupidity to be on TV
I wish. Unfortunately, people are that stupid. I'm sure they just don't air the dozens of people who do know the answers.

Conan is my favorite as well. I used to be a big Letterman fan, but it just got old for me. He does do the best interviews.

Leno is (or was) and excellent stand-up comic, but his show is dreadfully boring and very safe. You know, all good-natured, big grin for the camera. The way Leno kisses everyone's ass is just embarrassing to watch. Jay-walking is funny because, well, idiots are always funny. And yeah, I do like the newspaper sketch.

Conan is stupid and silly- perfect television for 12:35 am, and very much liked by college kids. My favorite stuff from Conan is Triumph (of course), Max Weinberg (there's something about a straight-laced Jewish jazz E-Street drummer getting teased about perversity that's kinda funny), and Joel the announcer ("I love Asian men.")

One thing I miss a lot is when Andy's "sister" used to come on. That actress is very talented, but it may be going to waste on Saturday Night Live. Which reminds me- I totally missed Conan's SNL appearance. Drat.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I love Letterman, but you can see that he's losing his touch. I never found Leno to be that funny, though some of his sketches are. Kilborn...well...nobody else has mentioned him and you probably know why.

Conan is really the funniest. The fact that he is on so late is what helps him do whatever he wants, so he can get away with anything.

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Conan is my favorite also, but I really miss Andy! I thought he was a great sidekick, their staring contests were absolutely hilarious....FOR ME TO POOP ON! :D

Craig_T

Second Unit
I like some of Leno's comedy bits but the guy cannot conduct a decent interview to save his life. Watching him sit there and kiss some NBA player's ass for 10 minutes is truly dreadful television. Actually, I'd rather watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart than Leno or Letterman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks