Conan O'Brien hints at wanting 11:30 slot

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Scott L, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

New York Times article

Excellent read if you're a fan of late night. Leno's contract was renewed till 2009 for $27M/year (still less than Letterman's salary) leaving Conan stuck at his 12:30 time slot. When Conan's own contract runs out he'll be 47, about the same age Letterman was when he left NBC. I could see why he would want 11:30, especially since he was offered $25M/yr from Fox a couple years back.

To be honest it's hard to imagine Conan coming on earlier than he already is. I wouldn't want them to clean anything up, such as the masturbating bear, but all the resources the big guys have at that time are immense. It's hard to say, but Conan deserves better than what NBC is offering him (the show's budget is so cheap, the musical guests are blah, and wish he had a better interview linep). I think a move to Fox would be a good one when the time is right.

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Very good article. His dilemna is understandable. But one item that was not mentioned is that many of his fans may also be fans of Jay leno's show. It's certainly the case for me. If I hav to choose between Jay leno and Conan O'brien playing in the same time slot, that might present a problem for me since I love each show not because they're the same, but because they are wildly different. The schticks played on Conan's show would never even be considered on Jay's show. And Jay's sense of humour is simply too tame and dry for it to be funny on Conan's out-of-control show.

If Conan does decide to move to the 11:35 time slot on another network, I just hope I can catch the show in another time zone so I don't miss either one. I really don't want to choose between the two.

3. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I don't see Jon Stewart as much a threat, nor can I seem him hosting anything but a news talk show. Perhaps that's the stigma he'll have to face. Then again that's what people said about Leno.

I'm all for an 11:30 Conan. Bring it on I say.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'd follow him to another network...

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Amen. I'd watch Conan on ANY channel. No TV show in existence has made me laugh with such consistency as Conan O'Brien's has. And that includes The Simpsons. I think he's absolutely the funniest guy on television.

Though I'll watch Conan wherever, I kinda hope he does stay on at 12:30. There's a good dichotomy between Leno and Conan's shows, and I like the fact that he's on a bit later. Leno's fine and Letterman's solid, but Conan's the guy for my generation.

Thanks for linking the article. It was indeed an excellent read.

6. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

When is Conan's contract up. Didn't he sign a new one about 2 years ago??

I am amazed that NBC extended Leno's contract...he has not been funny in years.

7. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

While he isn't everyone's cup of tea he generally wins his time slot and that's all that matters.

8. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

I wonder why with the networks filling prime time with all this reality crap NBC gets creative and trys to put Leno on Mon thru Fri at 10PM just to see what kind of ratings they could pull. Then Conan has the 11:30 slot.

9. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i've never been a fan of Leno, and i used to love Letterman, but lately his show is so unfunny it's tiresome. it may be "funny because it's all an in-joke" but that's not entertaining to me. i can't remember the last time i saw Dave leave the studio. if Conan DOES go to 11:35, let's hope his show doesn't go down the toilet like Dave's.

10. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Well, I enjoy Leno quite a bit, and Conan too, so I'd be disappointed having to pick one over the other.

Ideally, Leno should come on @ 10:30, Conan @ 11:30. But news will always be an hour long - and nothing sucks quite like watching the Spokane "news" show.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    what do you mean by that?

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I guess it's different everywhere, because here Leno and Letterman start at 10:35 PM, after the 35 minutes of local news. Leno is followed at 11:37 PM by Conan.

So what's the big deal? [​IMG]

13. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i mean he used to tape alot of skits outside the studio - on the street, in neighbourhoods, etc. i guess now he's too old to do that. sometimes he'll venture ~right outside~ the studio - i remember he once went outside on that rolling pogostick thing, that's about it.

14. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Freaking left coasters [​IMG] Always get the best of everything [​IMG]

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

16. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

I guess there is no big deal for us Arizonan folk. [​IMG]

17. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The funny part doesn't bother me as much as something that has never changed about Jay's show.. he has no interview skills. Whereas Conan can ask difficult questions, as can Dave, Jay is a running PR spin for whoever is on his show.. it's so tiresome it's hard to watch. Grill them now and again for pete sake.

I've always loved to see Dave throw out a not-so-friendly question. Conan has one of the best couch "gotcha" ability out there.. and is sometimes assisted (I will never forget when Norm McDonald, who I've always thought is mostly unfunny, cracked wise about "Chairman of the Board" with the "Box Office Poison" crack [​IMG]

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    because he kills in his time slot.

as unfunny as he is,
    he is a comfort zone i guess for people, he's a safe view.

even though he seems to be rather crude to some female guests, in a leering sort of way, and some of his comments.
    dont ask me to repeat his comments because i dont remember them.

[​IMG]

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I used to agree that Jay is not a good interviewer, but he has gotten a lot better lately actually. His interview with Mel Gibson for example was really good, and the last time Dennis Rodman was there they had a good conversation going. Same with some other recent guests.

I still don't think he's handling it as good as Dave or Conan, but he is getting better.

20. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I watch both Leno and Conan. I think Leno has better interview skills than Conan, although Conan is more entertaining an interviewer. Leno seems more knowledgable about his guests, he doesn't put too much emphasis on himself, and I think he's asked more difficult, serious questions than Conan.

~T