Conan in Finland?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by EricW, Mar 1, 2006.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

did i miss something, or didn't Conan make a trip to Finland during the Olympics? i was hoping he'd make a big deal about it on his first show back, with some skits etc, but he hasn't mentioned it in 2 shows. did he do something during the Olympics?

2. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I heard that he canceled it... I could of swore he said something before the Olympics. Maybe it was a big joke?

-

It looks like I'm wrong, according to a google search, on Wikipedia,

" On February 9, 2006, O'Brien announced that he would be visiting Finland the week of February 12th while the show is pre-empted for the Winter Olympics. [4]
    linkage

This link says that Conan went to Finland to accept and award and says that they are filming it.

An older link that says that he is meeting with Madam President.

-

I hope they air it, there could just be some problems, not enough airtime, etc.

Ryan

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Yes, he did go to Finland. One Fin fan took all the news reports and amateur clips he could find about his arrival and posted them on BitTorrent. Among many highlights:

- Conan was scheduled to meet the president on Tuesday following the weekend of his arrival (first weekend of the Olympics). He was hoping for a government position in echange for getting her re-elected, something like "sauna inspector". More specifically the female saunas.

- He was interviewed during a talk show, twisting just about every perception he had of Finland and of the USA (as he usually does), but still loved Finland.

- He spoke to many people on the street, all having their picture taken with the "Big Head" from the West.

- Many people at the airport had signs greeting Conan and inviting him to their "Fun holes".

Eventually, Conan will most likely show the stuff he's gathered while in Finland. I'll bet he brought back so much material that they're having one heck of a time deciding how to edit it all together.

4. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, he went -- I saw it on The Today! He talked about much he looked like the President of Finland -- some fan made a big deal about how similiar they look so he decided to go ... I am not sure if it was a joke or not -- you probably already knew all that though...

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

It'll probably be shown in May.

~T

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Conan's been doing gags about the President of Finland for months. They really do look alike, which is extra funny because the President's a woman!

[​IMG]

He mentioned his trip last night while talking to Bob Costas about the Olympics. So I think we'll see something soon.

7. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

hopefully. i mean chinese new year was like a month ago, and they did a cny sketch last night, so maybe it takes a few weeks to produce/edit etc.

8. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

It'll be on next week, at least the segments with the president.

~T

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    March 10, one hour episode all on his Finland trip. He announced it last night.

10. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

Hahaha..that was brilliant

"I know you're in there, Fagerstrom!"

11. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The whole show was funny. The part with the men jumping in the water after using the sauna was great, especially when Conan said he had an urge to bite into a sausage afterwards.

12. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

The first half was great but I thought the second one was disappointing. I hope they do another show with the unused footage. It'd be cool to see what happened when Conan and the fan with the friendship problem showed up at the friend's house.

~T

13. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

Triumph in Finland!!!

how good would THAT be? [​IMG]

14. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Didn't the female fan & Conan show up at the gate of the friend's parents house? Apparently, the friend's enmity was resolute and did not agree to meet with them.

Instead, they mocked up a tearful reunion with the friend using one of Conan's staff.

I really didn't like Conan when he busted onto the late night scene, but I've really warmed up to him (in small doses).

15. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

I don't see anyone on late night television that comes close to Conan.

Jay sucks..his monologue is hardly funny and he has crappy annoying people (tom green, ross, mo rocca) doing the remote segments. Jaywalking blows...99% of those people act stupid to get on tv.

Dave sucks these days too..He just sleepwalks through shows every night. $30 million/year for a lackluster show every night.

Craig Ferguson is good, but he gets F-list celebrities on his show. He is no Conan, that's for sure.

16. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Remember what happened when Conan was in Canada and Triumph visited Quebec City? [​IMG]

17. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Agreed. I saw Matthew McConaughey on Leno and Conan and the difference was night and day. Leno's antics had McConaughey squirming in his seat while Conan's interview was relaxed and actually funny. Leno's occasionally good, when he has someone he actually respects in the chair, but most celebs are just straight-persons for his mostly stupid jokes.

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

To say that hilarity ensued would be a tremendous understatement!!!