What's new

Computer Won't Recognize my internet connection, please help (1 Viewer)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Hello all,

I have been accessing the internet through another computer in my house; my service is SBC DSL, and the internet is accessed through a netgear router, and then a hub.

The internet works fine on the base computer, and the Local Area Connection pops up on my computer, saying that I'm connected. However, the internet on my computer does not work. Can someone pleeeeeeeeeeease please help me out?

Bryan

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It's possible that your registry settings dealing with the internet are borked.

You can try downloading, unzipping, and running this on your affected machine:

http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/VB_Pro...WinsockFix.zip

I was able to fix a client's computer that way. She could not surf the net at all, or do any other internet-related tasks until I ran this on her computer.

I am of course assuming your cables are plugged in properly and that the DSL modem is talking to your ISP without issue. (You said your base computer, which I assume is plugged into the same hub and router, works fine).

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,

I know you said "...the internet is accessed through a netgear router, and then a hub.."

However, a few questions stand out before you can get any help.

1) Did access to the Internet EVER work on this machine? If so, what changed?
2) Exactly what is wired to what? (eg, PC1--> Hub--> Router)
3) What Operating System is on this machine?
4) What is the error message that you get when trying to access the net?

I know its a lot but every little bit of information can help lead you to a fix.

Best of Luck...

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
1. Yes, up until one week ago today. The DSL on the main computer wasn't working, and the usual unplug the modem for a little bit wasn't working; I called up SBC in the morning, and they had me create a new connection method on my computer. I used to connect through "Enternet" but now I sign directly onto Yahoo SBC.

2. PC is connected to a hub, which is connected to a router, which has the DSL line, and my computers line on it.

3. We are operating on Windows XP.

4. The error message I get is just that my computer doesn't accept the internet connecttion. The odd part is, the icon saying that I am connected is up on the bottom right of my screen.

Bryan

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Max, thank you so much for that program. Since mid-February we have been having trouble with our dial-up. 9 times out of 10 it would not connect, when it finally did, it would take 3-6 minutes before it would transfer any data. We went rounds with the phone company and ISP, each blaming the other. 25-40 minutes to connect to the internet was getting frustrating. Tried changing out the modem, that didn't work.

Ran the program Max linked too, everything is slick as a whistle.

Thanks Max!!

Chris

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Darn, my advice didn't help Bryan. Oh well, at least you are now up and running Chris. No problem. :D

Bryan: With the computer running and attached to the router, can you open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

ipconfig /all

Hit the Enter key, and paste the resultant text into your post? I'd like to see if you are getting a valid IP address from your router.

(If you have never copied text from a command prompt window before, just click on the little icon on the top left corner of the window and you will see a menu. Open the Edit submenu, click on Mark, then highlight the text with the mouse. Hit Enter on the keyboard to copy the text into your clipboard, and you can Control-V it into your reply.)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Well I don't know how to get the command prompt, but I typed that into run and a DOS screen popped up and went away immediately. Do you just want the IP address that I'm showing? Also, in the "Local Area Connection" under Signal Strength, it is blank.

Bryan

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, well Bryan I just figured out where you got the blank Signal Strength from, which is exactly what it should be for you. To get a command prompt, just do the Start-> Run and type in CMD.

That will bring up a window where you can do as Max stated above.

Let me see if I got this correct.

Base PC (which still works) connects to the HUB
Your PC (which does not work) connects to the Router
HUB connects to the Router

Where again is the modem?

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Modem is external. You have the modem's connection going to the router, to the hub, one wire to base PC, other to my computer.

Bryan

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,

Hang in there and you should be able to fix this. It still would help if you would post the IP info, that Max asked for earlier. This would go a long way towards giving you some sound advice. I'm reluctant to say too much since the Enternet client should not have been needed on Win/XP, but it sounds like you were using it before.

I think Max is on the right track with his fix, but your PPPoE (DSL) client s/w is probably mucking it up.

Anywho, to make things faster here are some obvious questions that may get asked.

1) IP info*(see below) from "your computer"
2) IP info*(see below) from "main computer"
3) Start Internet Explorer on "your computer" and do the following -
a) Click Menu -> Tools -> Internet Options
b) Select Connections tab
c) Click "Lan Settings"
d) Note if Anything is checked (none should be)
Post back your results here and see if a Yahool-SBC customer notices anything.

*To get the IP information you can do as Max asked earlier, or do this:

- Bring up "Local Area Connection" box like you did earlier
- Select the SUPPORT tab
- Write down the info from the right column (for both machines)
example:
Assigned by DHCP

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
does your router allow you to use PPPoE from within the router setup? im assuming nmot since yer using the sbc bloatware they send everyone. and since yer on winXP you shouldnt even have that on yer pc anyway, I can atest to many problems ive had on clients pc's pointing towards that software itself. its basically just a huge spyware program, and can be a pain to remove at times, It has a habit of taking over alot of stuff on the pc. another thing is does your router have a integrated switch built in? if so can the hub, hubs share bandwidth across all ports, switches have dedicated bandwidth on each port.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for everyones help, seriously I appreciate everything.

I had a guy from work come over today and he spent about three hours on it and alas, success.

The first problem was that my 'dial up' some how got corrupt on the main computer. This caused me originally to have to form a new means of connection with SBC.

When I did that, apparently my computer (not the base one) didn't want anything to do with the new connection. Reason being is, I guess the router needed to be reset.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks