computer with no restore discs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Can a restore disc from another computer be used for another? If not, how does one reformat a hard drive and reinstall an operating system? A friend of mine has virus problems.

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd advise making a boot disk for the A drive (or startup disc), as his computer powers up it should read this and at least allow him to go into MS-DOS (or you might have to go into bios mode and select boot from floppy). Once in MS-DOS tell him to type the following:

format c:

I world also advise if possible for him to at this time to also partition his drive either using the fdisk command or using partition magic (highly suggested) this way he should only have to partition his C partition in the future (by installing on future programs to the other partitions) and still keep majority of his programs in as orginal shape as possible (I'd also advise developing a backup strategy as well).

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Restore discs from 1 computer CANNOT be used on a different computer that is why they give you a restore disc instead of a full OEM version of the software. That way you also have to contact the vendor of the restore/hardware (Compaq for example) instead of microsoft. He would reinstall the OS by having the restore disc for HIS computer or the original OEM disc that came with it, OR he can go out and buy a new full version of any OS. Other then that there isnt a Legal way to do it.

One note if he has a Virus I wouldnt recommend making a boot disc from the same computer that has the virus on since it could be a boot virus that he has and it could transfer over to the floppy and you are back to square 1 after installing the OS all over.

KyleS

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I wouldn't recommend formatting the 'C' drive right away. Some PC's have the entire restore section in a hidden file folder somewhere on the 'C' drive.

If you can get into Windows change the file types to read hidden files too, and look for it. I also heard a crazy story about one company putting their restore disk in a pouch under the motherboard.

GLenn

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

If you need to "format c:" don't forget the "/s" extension.

Format c: /s

Brent

6. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

ok ok thanks now on to the next stupid question. If we've got Windows on a disc how do I install it from MS DOS once I've formatted the hard drive? Do I just put in the disc and then do a directory check then what? It's been 4 computers ago that I've had to do this.

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The startup disk will put the computer in the DOS mode with an A: prompt from there type:

e: (assuming the D: is the cd drive since windows will shift the cd rom a letter down)

setup.exe

remember to have the key for the OS setup nearby.