What's new

Computer video output to TV (1 Viewer)

Richard_AD

Auditioning
Does anyone have any experience with taking the video signal from their computer and modulating on to an unused channel on their in-home cable system?
I want to watch the Web on any TV with PIP while viewing a broadcast program on the main screen.
I'm going to try this but thought someone that had done this might give me some pointers.

Richard_AD

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some video cards will modulate to an unused NTSC channel or output composite or S-video. FOr most PIP TV sets, a composite video feed is be used as one of the PIP inputs and is also better than an RF feed.

By the way, internet into a PIP window is extremely poor picture quality. It is still the 640 x 480 or whatever the computer is putting out except scaled to perhaps 160 x 120 with the obvious reduction in sharpness.

Better to do POP, put a computer monitor next to the TV if you can find a space not too close to speakers and their magnets. If you have "Sound of Music, view the scene with the home theater, with the soundtrack playing the number "Lonely Goatherd".

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Richard_AD

Auditioning
Allan ... thanks for the feedback.I forgot about the limitations of the TV screen resolution. Maybe this will work better when using a 1080i DTV system.

Thanks again.

Richard_AD

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Ok -- while we're on this topic... I recently purchased a Hitachi 57UWX20B RPTV that has a DVI/HDTV input. Can I get a video card for my PC with a DVI output to interface to the TV? Is this fairly easy these days? Or is the more to it (and/or great expense)? I'd like to play some PC games on my new TV...

Thanks!

- John...

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
John,

I think that a DVI to DVI connection should be fine. Only catch is be sure that the resolutions and refresh rate you use on the computer is acceptable before you hook it up to the RPTV. Remember that most TVs refresh at 60 Hz, if your video card is pumping out anything above that, it could be destructive.

There is a list of resolutions and refresh rates over at the avsforums, sorry but I don't have a link to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks