Computer UPS vs. Power Line conditioner?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike_Reznik, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine recently told me that he uses an APC UPS in his home theater instead of a monster surge protector or line conditioner. The UPS works like a battery pack for your HT. The system works from the batter and the direct current so you always get a steady consisten power stream. And if there is a power surge... there is no interuption in power.

I live in an area where we get constant power outages and surges. I bought a Monster HST2500 but that doesn't help with the equiptment turning on and off multiple times within a five minute period when the power keeps fluctuating and it doesn't help with the "brown-outs" when the power doesn't go completely out, just dips and spikes.

Have any of you used this in your setup? What voltage UPS would you recommend?

(I also posted this in the separates forum)

2. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

I have reservations about UPS on home systems. I would just as soon have all powered removed during major excursions, which is what my Panamax does. Once those limits are passed, everything stays off until YOU power it back on.
    Some amps, etc. pull much more power plus if you have your TV plugged in too, that's a lot to run off a battery. And why, just so you have time to turn power off?
    Computers NEED to have an ups so they can be shut down gently. The idea is not to keep using them on battery, but allow them to shut down (ie; APC - PowerChute) or give you enough time to shut them down. There are noise and spike suppression built in most UPSs that I know, but I don't think quite as sophisticated as you will find on better HT power conditioners or protection systems.
    I suppose a good HT system could be designed that does both but at a lot more cost and of questionable necessity.

3. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

I concur with Dale. What a UPS does for your computer is one thing. It's not something you need for HT, and the current demands of your HT would require a substantial battery to keep it up long enough for you to shut everything down anyway.
    I am not familiar with the Monster product you speak of. From your post, it doesn't sound like a line conditioner.

Upon re-reading your post...I'm guessing your friend is using his UPS for it's surge protection capability, which is just fine. It likely has additional outlets that are not on battery backup but are surge protected. I have a UPS as well, but only have my PC in backed up outlets.

4. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

For short brownouts and power surges, a regulated Smart UPS may be just the ticket. If you want to keep power at all times, including power interuptions, then get a Smart UPS, a whole house surge protector (looks like a breaker in your main box), and an emergency generator. You would then be all set for any power problem.

5. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

This is an interesting topic that has been disussed in a lot of detail at the AVS forum's tweaks area. In fact I read about this topic this weekend.

Bottomline:

Pluses:
    Powering down HTPC's and Front projectors protecting lamps and computers.
    No interruptions during storms etc

Minuses:

Most units below $1,000 do not produce proper sine waves, which can degrade sound and picture. (Stacey from Secrets did an article about UPS systems in HT applications).
    Limited filtering vs the products made for HT

My set-up is such that I'm using two BPT balanced power units (one for audio and one for video) plugged into a brickwall surge protector, which is plugged into an FIM outlet.

I am exposed to the problems that can occur when you suddenly shutdown a projector and a computer (the PD-1100 DVD player). I don't want to shorten my lamp life or screw up the PC, so I'm uncertain as to where I want to go from here....but all the tweaking to produce the best pic and sound that my system can provide is important to me too.

Ron

6. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

Using both a UPS and a power line conditoner simultaneously wouldn't create better filtering of EMI/RFI, or surge protection. The joule rating is limited to the design in each component. A UPS is designed more for computer servers as a battery back-up power supply. Line conditioners for sensitive home audio and video components are made with similar components, but a different design.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer