What's new

Computer to Home Theater (1 Viewer)

DonG

Auditioning
Hello everyone.

I currently have a Panasonic SA HE-200 receiver which is located in my living room. My computer is in an adjacent room. I would like to be able to hook up my computer to my receiver so that I can play MP3's. My computer is a Pentium III 450 MHz with a Creative 3D PCI audio card (I don't believe it's digital).

Here are my issues:

1) Should I upgrade to a digital sound card? Would it make much difference given that I will be primarily listening to MP3's? What digital sound card should I buy? Do all digital sound cards have 5.1 and does that matter if I'm only playing music?

2) Aside from actually runing wire to the next room, should I consider a wireless system and which one?

Another option is to buy an old laptop, install a good sound card and an external hard-drive and place it right beside my amp. I'd rather not do that (I think it's easier to use my current system)

Any imput is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Does your mainboard have any SPDIF pins on it?

Check your book.

If it does I THINK you can connect a coax digital line to your receiver with an RCA jack.

Better get confirmation from one of the pros here.

I THINK you don't even need a sound card.

DonG

Auditioning
Thanks guys for the feedback.

I've been doing a bit of reading and there are certainly many options and the technology seems to be improving daily. There are multiple wireless systems: radiowaves, Wi-fi etc. All of which have their pro's and con's.

Greg, thanks for the info regarding the sound card. I'll probably stick with my current one for now as I'm only listening to MP3's (no movies etc). What suggestions do you have for a well shielded cable?

Thanks,

Don

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Gateway has a WiFi dvd player... I can't find the link, but I read about it today and it might solve your dilemna.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks