computer & stereo

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rich Bubbles, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Rich Bubbles

Rich Bubbles Auditioning

I have recently connected my stereo to my computer for better sound. However the sound quality is absolutely terrible. No bass whatsoever and the mid and tweet is very weak. Anyway to fix this?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If you describe your connections, it will make it eaiser to help.

3. Rich Bubbles

Rich Bubbles Auditioning

I have left & right RCA cables plugged into the aux. of the stereo. The other end of the cable is 1/8 plugged into the speaker port of the computer, the same one my computer speakers were plugged into.
    The ground loop isolator didn't lessen the sound quality, the quality was just as bad through the buzzing.

I thought that it may be a new sound card that I needed. But, I have a 3-piece computer speaker set which includes a subwoofer, and the bass is excellent when these speakers are used. As soon as I plug in the stereo, however, the quality is absolutely terrible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rich,

You have to remember that the subwoofer has a level control that increases bass response after the electronics. I’d check the sound card’s control page for the tone settings, and increase the bass level as needed.

Still, stock sound cards are of notoriously poor sound quality, so you very well may not be able to get good sound quality through the stereo.

Regards,
    Wayne

5. Rich Bubbles

Rich Bubbles Auditioning

Do you suggest that I buy a new sound card, or is there other hardware that would fix this?

6. Marc LaPalme

Marc LaPalme Agent

i'm pretty sure there are sounds cards that have a opt. out for audio. and most decent cards nowadays have 5.1.

so... maybe you should look into a newer card if sound quality is issue.

7. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Most PC's onboard audio is MORE then decent these days. The Nforce chipset set a bar that was so high it forced the rest of the world to improve. If your Motherboard is less then 2 or 3 years old it likey has at least 5.1 capability already. Can you describe EXACTLY waht is bad about the sound?

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The computer's speaker output is meant to feed a low impedance load of around 8 ohms.

The Aux input of yhou stereo had perhaps a 1000 ohm impedance. THis mismatch can be enough to degrade the sound.

Also turn down the volume using the computer. The computer's output could be overloading the stereo's input.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

9. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The

10. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

The line out is still a lower imp but its not 8 ohms. Typically its 30 to 700 ohms depending on the sound card. It will output a signal up to 2vpp. If this is an onboard card, they dont usually have direct speaker drives anymore. Your idea of the signal being too strong is a good one though. He should have the bar at about half strength to start with.