Computer speakers... for work?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Popovich, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Chris Popovich

Chris Popovich Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I'm looking for some cheap & relatively inexpensive computer speakers for work. I'll most likely be plugging my MP3 player into them (creative MuVo Tx FM), so no worries about sound card, etc. I was thinking that I'd like a 2 channel system better than a 2.1 just for simplicity.

At home I have the Klipsch 2.1 thx system, after some equalization it sounds decent. I was looking at the less expensive Klipsh 2 channel system -any thoughts?

Price range I'm thinking about is under $100, pref. around $50 but I'm flexible. Size doesn't really matter, but I'd rather it not look super flashy, as it might disappear if it's tempting enough, but that's really a secondary concern, security is pretty good where I work (DoD). [​IMG]

Any ideas would be appreciated. I listen to everything from Paul Van Dyke to Debussy, I love bass but know that's not going to be a big option with a 2 channel computer system.

-Chris

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

At the risk of being shot or banned from the forum [​IMG] I'm going to suggest Bose. Their computer speakers are 2.0 and sound decent. They're not going to knock your socks off, but they sound pretty good. They also have two RCA inputs on the back -- one to get signal from the computer and another for an external piece of equipment (e.g. mp3 player).

EDIT: I should also note that these are not exactly inexpensive, but I'm pretty sure you can find them under your $100 limit.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I use these at home: Altec Lansing MX5020

MSRP is $99.95, I got them for $75 after shipping at Newegg. They'll put out a lot of bass for a 2.0 set. They emit a slight hiss when nothing's coming out of them, but it's not too noticeable once music's playing. Here are a couple of reviews:

CoolTechZone

PC Magazine

Price comparison:

PriceGrabber

4. Chris Popovich

Thanks for the response! Nice to see some options besides the Klipsh. I had heard the Bose in BestBuy, I think, and thought they were okay for the size. It'd be tough to own them though, lol.

Thomas, who is the girl in your signature? Very nice.

-Chris

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Bass travels quite a ways. That can be a disruption in the workplace; you may actually want to shop for speakers that intentionally can't do too much of that to keep the amount of cranky coworkers to a bare minimum.

I used to have a set of Creative Microworks (once upon a time the top of the Creative lineup, designed by Henry Kloss) and it became frustrating; the speakers could rock the entire office but I hardly dared use them because they annoyed people due to bass thump.

It was kind of funny once though; I wanted to give my brand new Pocket PC a trial through the speakers and wasn't aware the speaker volume was set high-ish... I had the entire office standing in the doorway gawking and wondering what the heck was going on; I was standing there with a tiny handheld and the windowpanes were rattling.

7. Chris Popovich

Cranky co-workers won't be a problem. For one, speakers are common, but also I tend to work later than everyone else, and would mostly be using it when on night shift or after 3:30 or so. Thanks though. If I hear "free bird" one more time through the secretary's clock radio I'm going to go insane.

-Chris

8. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator