Computer restarts when playing RTS Games

Discussion in 'Computers' started by BryanV, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

Whenever I play Empire Earth, The Age of Empires Demo or Imperial Glory. My computer randomly shuts down about 15 or 20 mins into the game. I'm running a 1.1 gig AMD with a 64mb radeon all in wonder card around 700 memory.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Power supply going out?

Video card overheating?

Proc can't keep up?

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

If the video card is overheating you should see some graphical glitches: snow, texture tearing, etc.

It sounds like it may be the cpu overheating though, do a finger test on the heatsink after a reset (touch it to see if it burns :p). probably should check the bios to see if it lists the cpu's temp athlons tend to run around 50*C and have a max tolerance of 80*C but most motheboards like to shut down around 70*C.

The powersupply could be at fault as well, it may be unable to provide enough power. Your computer will use a lot more power during gaming than idling or word processing.

After checking for heat, the next thing I would do however is reinstall directX and reinstall a majority of the drivers: chipset, video, audio, etc.

4. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    It could also be memory.

My computer was randomly rebooting like that, it turned out to be my RAM. Slowing down the RAM just a little stopped the reboots.

Go figure. My CPU and video card are able to handle a fair amount of overclocking, but my RAM doesn't even like to run at spec.

5. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice everyone, I do not meet the system req. for most of these games so what your saying makes since. I am able to play for a while tho with all the graphics options turned off. I will try some tests with taking off the cover for my case and putiing a lil desk fan and pointing it directly at the procesors.

Thanks again.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Open the case and a, verify that all fans spin properly and b; that they aren't buried in dust.

7. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

I checked my CPU usage and it is at 100% whenever I play a Game, My wife decided to exit out of MSN messenger and Qicktime out of the Toolbar and then I was able to play. Would I be able to allocate memory or somthing so that my usage is not at 100% when I load a game. Also when I am not playing a game and have no applications open except my firewall my usage is at 3%.

Thank you.

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Games want 100% of your computer to perform, and then they ideally want another 100% you don't even have. [​IMG]

Basically, when you play PC games you need to resign yourself to the fact that everything else should be shut down for the duration - except perhaps on the most insanely speced gaming rigs with dual graphics cards and multigigabytes of memory where you can keep some stuff going in the background. Not that most people with such rigs do, they use them pretty much for gaming and everything else is secondary.