What's new

Computer Restarting while playing Warcraft 3, Please help! (1 Viewer)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Hello all I am having a problem with my newly built computer. I am using the following
Asus a7v333 Motherboad
Amd xp 1600
256 ddr
leadtek geforce4 ti4400

The problem is this. When I was playing warcraft 3 today my computer just restarted for no reason. This is the first time that this has happened even when I played for 6 hours straight the night before. Using the monitoring software that comes with my motherboard during Warcraft 3 it would start beeping when the game would load. I minimized warcraft 3 and found out that something with the voltage setting was setting off the alarm. The recommended vcore on the xp 1600 is 1.75 my current voltage readings are as follows(without wc3 running)

+12 v 12.192
+5 v 4.892
+3.3v 2.992
Vcore 1.792

I tried going into bios and lowering the vcore setting but it would not go below 1.75. I also updated my bios but again would not let me go lower. The power supply that I have is a turbolink 420w that came with my case so I cannot imagine that it is of to high quality. Again this only happens during warcraft3 and even then I cannot reproduce this effect. It is at a random point in the game when it restarts. I have never had a single other problem with this comp. even when playing cs and bf1942. Any help is appreciated, especially through aim:xmrxbrettx

KyleS

Screenwriter
Brett,

I had a computer I built for a customer that was having that exact same problem. It ended up being the RAM in the system. I did a scan with some test software I have and the RAM was doing random memory dumps and that severely effected Warcraft III. It didnt cause problems with the system other then that but Warcraft III would crash every so often.. Though ususally within 1 hour of playing. No blue screen just closed down to the desktop. If you have another stick of Ram I would give that a try.

The system that I had which was giving these problems was also very similar to yours.

Asus A7V333-R
AMD XP2200+
256MB DDR2700
LeadTek GForce4 Ti4600 128mb

KyleS

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I will try that but the system doesn't just go to desktop the whole thing restarts during gameplay. I tried to produce the problem again with the monitoring software open and figured out it was the 3.3v reading that was beeping and going off on me. I posted this exact same question on another forum and somebody stated that this was the problem. Now I am in the market for a new power supply.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What OS are you using? If you're using Windows XP, the computer is probably BSODing, but you have "Restart computer after crash" turned on. Disable that in the System control panel, and see if you are in fact getting a Blue screen of Death.
You might have a faulty power supply, if your 3.3V is giving you trouble. If I remember correctly, AGP cards use the 3.3V line (and maybe even the RAM), so it would seem that your video card/RAM is too stressful on your poor crappy PSU. :)
You have any other devices in your system? I assume you're not overclocking...

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
you know it could be the cooling when i first built my athie 1700 system it restarted alot when the processot had to do work try running other games that are high on system demands if it happens then its ur cooler thats on the CPU if it is that get some silver thermal compund and the thermal take volcano 7+ cooler or something of quivilent wuality.... it can be ram to when system runs low XP uses 128 always thats 128 left for games and other programs so if the 128 is gone system dumps and restarts ....

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Problem fixed. It was my power supply. Either it was faulty or just wasn't powerful enough for my system. The 3.3v was dropping down into the 2.5 range. I bought a 350watt Enermax and am now up to 3.3 and have had no problems at all.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Well turns out that didn't fix the problem. Although the new power supply is great the problem is still happening which has led me to believe that it is a problem with wc3. If anybody is still interested here is what I posted on another forum.

Hello. The problem I am having is when I am playing warcraft 3 on my computer. Here is what I am running
Asus a7v333 motherboard
Leadtek Geforce 4 ti4400
amd xp 1600
enermax 350w p.s.
xp pro

At random points during gameplay the computer just restarts. For no reason at all seemingly. My temperature, voltage ratings and fans are all at good levels according to the monitoring software that comes with my motherboard. My friend also has almost this exact same computer(better processor, asus videocard)and does not have this problem when running wc3. This restarting does not happen when I am using any other program even 3dmark2001. So I am pretty sure that it is a problem with warcraft3. I have the latest drivers from nvidia but I have not updated my motherboard drivers yet.

After reading around on these forums there are a few settings that I have turned on that may provide useful for this problem. I have the following turned on

In display/properties/settings/advanced/troubleshoot I have enable write combining turned on.

Also I have the option in xp(not sure where) that in the event of a crash to have the computer automatically restart.

Thats about all the info I can provide on the problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks alot guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks