Computer Randomly Freezes??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gerald LaFrance, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    HI I have been having problems with my Computer for a while now, I posted on another Forum with no solution to my problem I thought I'd give it another go!

System Specs:

1. Win XP Pro
    2. VIA P4 PB 400 mainboard
    3. Intel 3.06 GHZ HT processor
    4. 1.25GB Ram Kingston
    5. Western Digital 200GB HD
    6. Direct X 9.0c
    7. PNY GeForce 5700 ultra AGP 128mb
    8. Nvidia 61.77 drivers
    9. Nvidia 61.77 Stereo Drivers
    10. Antec 350watt PS ATX 12V

the problem is that is MOST of the time it just randomly Locks up causing to restart and last time I lost some info and had to do a Reinstall of Windows. [​IMG]

I did get a Blue screen of Death that said I need a BIOS upgrade, but that was not it altho I just did a reinstall so I decided to do a BIOS upgrade just incase, Altho I did get a freeze right B4 I posted this!!

I did read that VIA is NOT very stable could my MOBO be causing the problems?? I now there could be a million things wrong.

[​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

How do you end up with 1.25GB of RAM? How many pieces of RAM are on the MB? Just guessing you have a 256MB piece of RAM to go along with 1GB of RAM (or 2 pieces of 512MB RAM). I'd take out the 256MB piece of RAM and see if the problem recurs.

3. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi Patrick I have 2-512 & 1-256. I have tried that in the past and it still would lock up, I also Ran memtest for like 4 hours and that came up with no errors. I have 3 slots for memory up to 3 GB.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

How does the test run for 4 hours without locking up?

Have you tried just the 2 512MB RAM pieces in different slot combos, maybe one of the RAM slots is flakey.

Is 61.77 the latest NVidia video driver version?

Sometimes, it's the power supply that causing this problem as well.

5. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    that is it I dont know why,it locks up Randomly sometime the puter will run for hours other times I get lockups within hours even minutes it is a Random lockup!!

I have always just used slot 1 are you saying put 1 stick in just the 2nd or 3rd slot?? can I do that and it will work??

the 61.77 are NOT the latest drivers but this should be a non issue. I use them for Quake 1 the latest wont work with quake 1 with the 3D glasses!!

I just ran the wattage calculator, I need 271Watts Minumum is that OK with the 350 watt PS??

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Many modern motherboards do dual channel memory. In other words, two of your three slots might be special and require the same size memory chips in them for maximum performance. Check the motherboard manual and see if that is the case.

That should not have much impact on stability though, just performance.

There are two things you should check first of all if you haven't already.

One, the cooling of your computer. Are all fans spinning? Are the heatsinks properly aligned and firmly seated?

Two, the motherboard. I'm not sure how old the board is, but check the components on it visually anyway. Motherboards of a certain age have been known to have the capacitors start to swell up and then start leaking, leading to massive stability problems.

7. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

look in event viewer [system]. a log might have been added before the lock.

8. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    I had a Blue screen of Death happen turned out I had some Nvidia files causing this, I then removed and reinstalled with Detonater Rip.

I am hoping that is the cause of all these lockups..

Kimmo, I'll check out the capacitors but I think all is well I also am sure ALL fans are working properly!!

Andy I checked out event viewer there was alot of info there but I dont think there was anything pertaining to my lockups?

THNX [​IMG]

9. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    In your BIOS setup there may be an option along the lines of "Load Fail Safe Settings". If so, select it. This should force the MB to use the most stable timings which should result in slightly less performance but greater stability.

10. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    THNX Mike I didnt even think of that, I did have the Optimized settings enabled. I did go back into bios just to select settings for the Vid card it defaulted to 64mb memory and PCI instead of AGP.

I did get an Blue screen of death and it said that this file "NV4_disp.dll" caused the error. turns out it is the Nvidia driver and it said to DL the latest Driver, I did but my 3D Glasses DONT work under the new drivers. I will just wait and see how it goes with these new settings!!

THNX for all the Replies!! [​IMG]

11. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    The PCI vs AGP simply means that it would first attempt to find a video card in one of your PCI slots before checking the AGP slot. If you only have one video card in the system, this setting shouldn't make a major difference. If however you're using more then one video card, this setting will determine which card will be the primary video card.

Your 3D glasses probably don't work because they're a value added feature created by the card manufacturer, not nVidia. If you downloaded the latest nVidia drivers from the nVidia website, then this would explain your problem. I had the same feature on my ASUS v7700 Deluxe, which had a GeForce2 under the hood. To get the 3D video to work I'd need to use the ASUS driver for that video card. Check to see if the manufacturer for that video card has updated drivers.

ps: One other thing that caused me endless grief was ZoneAlarm Pro v3.x. I ended up just using the WinXP firewall. ZA would often crash the system at boot time. Not sure why, but it got real annoying real fast. I think newer versions have solved it, but I'm happy with the default firewall these days.

Good luck!

12. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    Oh I thought this was telling windows what the vid card was using???

the Stereo Drivers are provided by Nvidia found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dstereo_78.01.html

they are Edimensional 3D glasses but Nvidia provides the Drivers. I installed the latest but they did NOT work in the TEST setup so I went back to the 61.77 drivers. I also used the 71.84 drivers they did not work. If the 3d 7 Vid driver are not the same driver number it wont work. so for now I am stuck with the 61.77!!

I am a lil confused on why this would be my problem??Microsoft is telling me to install the latest drivers, But they Don't work so I am using the 61.77 drivers. I just found 78.01 drivers I am gonna give those a shot .

The Card is a PNY and they send me to Nvidia for the Both set of Drivers.

13. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Okay, forget what I said about the drivers. [​IMG] It seems they've done things a little differently since the days of my GeForce 2. [​IMG] Of course, it be just my own bad memory, ya never know! [​IMG]

Btw, the GF4 MX440 requires an interrupt (which is uncommon for a video card, unless it has built in video capture). That's because that line of GPU required CPU support for many of it's advanced features. You may want to check to see if it's sharing interrupts with something else. If you're experiencing really poor video performance, make sure it has an interupt associated with it. In fact, check to make sure you're not sharing any interrupts unless you have to. The key devices to check are your sound card and NIC.

As a bit of a tip, if you never use your serial or parallel devices, you can disable them and free up an interrupt or two. Just a thought, this may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

14. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    I just DL the 78.01 Drivers they are the latest for BOTH Driver & 3D driver so Hopefully that solves my Blue Screen of Death Syndrome [​IMG]

I am using the PNY GeForce FX 5700 Ultra Vid card.

I also Dusted the inside there was a lil bit of dust on the CPU heatsink so far no lockups or Blue screen of Death!!

:b

15. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Sorry, I mixed up this thread with another one. I guess that's what happens when you're quickly posting on forums when you're SUPPOSED to be working! [​IMG]

- Mike

16. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    LOL get back to work!!

just an update I have NOT had a lockup or Blue Screen of Death so far I ran the puter for 6 hours last night without a problem. The 61.77 drivers where causing my Blue screen problems and I thnik the dust was causin it to overheat!!

now it is running smooth as silk (keeping Fingers crossed)!! THNX for all the help. [​IMG]