Computer Problems and Kudos to Best Buy..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Aug 23, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I know many people seem to hate Best Buy for fixing computer problems, but we must have gotten lucky. We're down here for the shore on a two day weekend vacation. I plug the computer in, it suddenly dosn't work. No power to anything, despite different plugs, different wall outlets, straightening connections, etc.

So, we take it out to best buy in hopes of a quick fix. The guy by repairs says that if it's a power supply problem, their in the back, but we can't take it now because w'ere rather busy...

So, we go in the back, find a black shirted tech, and he said that it's probably not the power supply and to bring it in for him to give it a quick once over. He does, notices a few problems. 1)Dust all over the place. I'm too afraid to touch anything, or to try and clean it because it might harm the equipment, but he showed us an easy way to do so .

2nd)I'm not really sure what he did, but he said it was something with a video card conflict? We have a DVD Decoder card in there, and an ATI All In Wonder 7200MB card. I was told the DVD Decoder card was only needed if you intend to run it on the TV. I thought it was needed to help the drive itself run... Could this cause the computer to not start at all, or have problems? It's never happened this way before....

And 3), Even gave us a Nortan Anti-Virus and Security update since it was at a discount, wich is something we needed anyway.

Very Nice Guy, did alot of stuff he didn't have to do, especially since he was ready to go on break, but if he reads these forums, kudos once again....

Only one question. My computer just turned itself off for no reason. I had to switch power plugs from the monitor in order to get it to run again.

It never did this before. Any ideas?

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Unless someone opened up your computer and messed with the card so that it was improperly seated, it would not prevent your computer from turning on at all. Even then it should probably power on and just not post... Considering your computer has once again mysteriously turned itself off though it started working again I would begin to look for other possible causes to your problem. Also, you might need the card if your computer is too slow to play dvds properly by itself, but in your case I believe an Radeon AIW 7500 has some dvd playback hardware acceleration, so you wouldn't need it. And you could use the tv out on the Radeon if you wanted to watch dvds on tv. So while the guy was right in a way, his reasoning was incorrect.

So what did you do with the power plugs? Do you mean you switched cords with the monitor, or unplugged the cords from the wall and switched them, or what?

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Do you mean you switched cords with the monitor,>>>]

Yep, it's the strangest thing. I switched it with the monitor plug, and it worked for a few minutes and turned itself off. I switched them back to normal, and it stayed on for about 6 hours and turned itself again...

It does it at random to, there's no real thing that's constant that turns itself on or off. Sometims I'll be encoding some video and it'll turn itself off. Sometimes I'll sign on with the modem and it'll turn itself off, or it 'll go through, and a few hours later turn itself off. Or, just leaving it alone with nothing but the desktop on andi t'll turn itself off by itself.

A real pain in the neck, but the Best Buy tech didn't find any real problems except saying it may be a video card problem because of the DVD Decoder card and aTI TV Tuner(But this never happened before this weekend, and they've been installed for thel ast year or two that way with no problem). The other local store we bought it to said prety much the same thing.....and that's obviously not the problem..

Oh well, at least my new Dell computer will be here next week..

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Friends of mine have an HP from Best Buy that exhibited the same symptoms. I figured out it was the power supply's cooling fan, it wasn't turning (probably cheap bearings). I think the switching off you did to change power plugs allowed it to cool off enough to run again for awhile.

We eventually got a new power supply for them and haven't had a problem since.

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Sounds like a power supply beginning to die. Random shutdowns and reboots when the cooling fan siezes and the power supply overheats. The best thing to do is just replace it before it overheats to the point of power supply death, usually accompanied by a buzz, pop and the smell of burning plastic.

I've had to replace power supplies in 3 of my boxes because the ones they came with were inadequate for what the systems needed. All of them suffered the same symptoms. I've also replaced them for some of my clients (I do computer tech work as part of my business).

Power supplies aren't that expensive and easy to replace, just a couple of screws and the power connectors for internal components.