Computer or xbox..which way to go??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BrettisMckinney, May 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

ok..i've got a sweet hometheatre..76cm WS TV..full surround sound geat etc..now i have a good computer except for the video card(geforce 2) now i'm confused as to if i should get a good video card for games, or buy a X-box. The xbox will hook up very easy..s-video in and optical etc..which i like. I was wondering if anyone knows how good a computer looks with the s-video out? Would it look as good?

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Personally i hate pc hand hold controllers for gaming except for sports. Most comp games are FPS so make sure you have a wireless mouse and keyboard in your home theater. I have a pretty good gaming machine but i wont be able to play new games. To do a gaming machine on your comp for the newer games you will have to spend around $400 just on a card plus you will probably have to upgrade ram. I have a x-box which doom III is coming to so im not pissing away $400. If you have the $$ you could do that. Some people like playing games on there comp

The x-box has component video, 5.1 surround, and some games using the higher HDTV resolution. Costs $180 and no extra hardware to buy

capt

3. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

This questions is a very complicated one.

I would suggest that you talk to the people in the Home Theater PC forum to see what they think.

It will definately cost you more, but that wasn't your question. I would think that the decision would depend on the inputs that your TV has. Mine for example has a DVI port, so I've heard that hooking up a PC to that port looks terrific.

S-Video will not be all that great. That's been my evaluation when I've hooked up PC's to TV's before, but I was just farting around when I did it.

Good luck!

Glen

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Well with the X-Box, you can get a good range of games, including PC games with added features, and it's only $200 now. I'd say the X-Box.

5. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Thanks guys. I though the advanced av pack only gives the xbox svideo?..can you get component ones? My tv has scart,component,svideo and composite. I've been a pc gamer all my life and am awkward with consoles. But if i spend a lot of money on a good video card and hook it up to my tv and it looks like crap it'd suck. I know on the xbox some games are 16:9 enhanced but i dont know how the pc would look on a WS.

Thanks for opinions guys!

6. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

There is two Xbox AV packages. One for Component, one for S-Video.

Good luck. [​IMG]

Glen

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

PC games and consoles games are really different. It all depends upon what you like. I go for both myself and spend more time on my PC, just because I can do so much more with it. You can have email, web, IM, and game all going at the same time and easily switch between them.

8. Ed Werner

Ed Werner Stunt Coordinator

There are actually three packs for XBox, Composite, S-vid, and Component. There is a huge difference between them all, of course component being the best. If you get an XBox, definately get the Monster Cable 400 component cables and fiber audio cable. You won't be dissapointed. I don't have a HTPC yet, so I can't honestly compare the two. It does seem like you have to do alot of tweaking with the HTPC to sync the refresh rates though. I think all of this HTPC stuff is in its infancy and it seems as though manufacturers are taking notice and taking steps to integrate the two (ex. the ATI component bundle for their vid cards).

Looks like things will be sweet (read: matured) in a year or so which is when I will be building my first HTPC (or PC for that matter) Can't wait.

--Ed

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just 2 packs; Advanced (S-Video) and Hi-Def (Component). Composite doesn't require a pack and the cables are included with the system.

An HTPC is gonna be a bitch to set up plain & simple. You have to worry about noise, wireless devices (which will create lag), and other little things which will make you keep spending. The cost you will put down to make your PC really quiet will most likely be the cost of an Xbox and the accessories you get for it.

S-Video on a TV won't look good unless you play a game where there is less precision involved, such as running around in UT compared to squinting to see the text in an RTS. I just couldn't play C&C: Generals on my 32" tv but YMMV.

I'd only recommmend an HTPC for home theater gaming if you had an FPTV, go for the Xbox.

10. Ed Werner

Scott, there are three packs, I know because I have both the composite and the component packs. The composite pack isn't required, but I bought it and did notice a slight improvement and I wanted the extra shielding that the monster composite pack offers. I bought the monster composite pack (100x) because I didn't have a TV at the time with S-Vid or Component inputs. That obviously changed with the TV I bought in my sig.

--Ed

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ahh.. I see. I wasn't even thinking about the Monster composite pack. I was browsing their site and couldn't find any such thing so I'm assuming it was an earlier design.

12. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

13. Ed Werner

No, its cool. Diff. strokes for diff folks. I didn't want to put out 20.00 for that, then another 100.00 for descent component cables. It looks good to me and thats all that matters, its all about personal choice. Ya know the old saying, opinions are like...and everyone has them. Best of luck to whatever you choose to do though and hope you are happy with it.

--Ed

14. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I'm sure after reading THIS thread I'm sure you can make the logical choice [​IMG]
    (at least for the online aspects).

Upgrade your card to a good Ti series Geforce 4, I promise you wont be dissapointed

15. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I've got a decent gaming PC (1.4ghz, GF3Ti, 512mb PC133) that can handle everything I've thrown at it so far, but I also have an Xbox.

I won't be upgrading my PC anytime soon and will opt for Xbox versions of DoomIII and Half Life 2 when they come out.

As fun as gaming on the PC is, it does come with headaches. Compatability issues (some are minor, others are not: i.e. I never was able to get NOLF to run properly on my rig) and the need to have the latest and greatest vid card to run the latest games at a reasonable frame rate. Generally the cost of the latest generation of vid card is well over the cost of a $179 Xbox.

While I do prefer FPS's on the PC, I'm willing to trade precision mouse/kb control for the comfort of my couch, a 46" screen and full on 5.1 sound (yes, you can get a 5.1 rig for your pc but it's not quite the same experience).

Online capabilities are a non-issue for me as I don't have broadband access. If/when thay do become available I'll be more than happy to go with Live!.

Two of my friends have recently jumped from strictly PC gaming to the Xbox (mind you, they said they would NEVER buy a console). Just had our first Halo LAN party and they'll never go back.

If you do end up with an Xbox, I'll have to second what Scott "E" said ad far as cables. The Microsoft A/V pack is more than up to the task. I help design low loss cables for my company and IMO Monster Cables of just about any kind are overkill for your standard 6' run of wire from your Xbox.