Computer Optical Out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Murphy, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking for a 5.1 optical out for my computer that dosnt have a decoder. Just an optical out! Does anyone no were to get one of these. I have been looking for one but couldnt find anything anywhere. Please leave a msg if you could help me!

2. Tyler Merrick

If you have a sound blaster live you can get a addon for it from www.hoontech.com also many new motherboard companies offer intergrated 6 channel sound that comes with optical out.
    Check
    www.creative.com
    i think yamaha makes one too.

3. Paul Murphy

Thankyou that is very helpfull. But is there anything that dosnt have an output for computer speakers. Just an output for optical?

4. Paul Murphy

i have a receiver also so it dosnt need a decoder

5. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    you might want to have a look at this thread.
    You might also want to check out this little unit. You'd want to check & make sure that it can pass a DD/DTS stream, not just 2-channel. Seems that it should, but I'm no expert.
    Cheers,

6. RodrigoF

RodrigoF Auditioning

I think you are looking for something like this:
    Spdif-to-optical conversor:
    1) http://www.minidisc.org/cdrom_opticalout.htm
    Where to get the digital out? Here...
    2) http://atlas.hemmet.chalmers.se/live...cles.html#cat3
    I tried this very very cheap-home-made cable and works flawlesly in my receiver. And it is optical!!! = No hurt to the receiver!
    Please, don't forget it is a DIY project, so be careful in the connections, no guarantees are offered!
    If you have any question, please email me at: [email protected]
    Good Luck!

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Does it have to be optical- will coax do? There are several cards that do coax (the most popular is the Maudio Audiophile- Avoid the creative soundblaster crap at all costs).

Echo audio has some pro cards with optical- but I've never tried mine with DVD playback and DD/DTS passthough.

-Vince

8. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, there are plenty of cards that have spdif out. I believe most of the creative cards that have live drive's have optical out. Check out the Audigy2 Platinum, or the Extigy.

9. Paul Murphy

my main resons for having the optical out on the compuer is for games with 5.1 such as the ea sports ones. If at all possable i don't need any computer speaker plug's. I have seen some of these but they are about $200. Im not looking at speanding more that 100. Thanks though