Computer Makers Sued Over Hard-Drive Capacity Claims

Neal_C

Second Unit
Reaction score
Mike,

Why does Western Digital owe you 274GB of space? The lawsuit isn't against them.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Reaction score
They didn't short you...they plainly state in a footnote that 1GB = 1 billion bytes.

And I hate to tell you this, but even if this lawsuit goes to court and these guys win, Maxtor, Western Digital, etc, are under no obligation to change how they package their drives. They are covered because of their footnote.

All this lawsuit will do is cause Dell, Compaq, etc, to put the same footnote in their ads, website, etc.

RobertR

Executive Producer
Reaction score
in the next you hold firm that if the term is in a dictionary, then it must be some kind of fact.
No, just the prevailing view, which your personal dictionary couldn't counter by itself. But Patrick is right and we should give it a rest.

MarkHastings

Executive Producer
Reaction score
they plainly state in a footnote that 1GB = 1 billion bytes.
They are wrong...(see below)

footnote: MarkHastings = Lord and Supreme Judge of everything. All of my theories and explanations can not be argued against because I am always right.

So I guess no one can argue with me because I have clearly stated (in a footnote) that my answer is the absolute and final answer and everyone has to believe this to be true because I wrote it down.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Main Entry: giga·byte
Pronunciation: -"bIt
Function: noun
Date: 1975
: 1,073,741,824 bytes
Say, can I sell you some gold? Email me and we'll agree on a weight for the sale.

JoshuaL

Extra
Reaction score
I'm sure adding this post will cause much chagrin, but I had to throw my two cents in. I have, a couple different times, been negatively affected by the GB issue. Once I had exactly 118 GB of video to store, so I bought a 120 GB hard drive (foolishly assuming it equals the same 120 GB displayed in Windows Explorer). It didn't, of course, and I had to buy additional storage.

Just because companies include a footnote redefining 1 computer GB to be 1 billion bytes doesn't make it so. *That's* what I'd like to see changed, but it probably won't happen.

Sure, the average computer user won't be affected, but many are ... and it sucks to find out the discrepancy at an inconvenient time. Ultimately, it would be nice if HD manufacturers were not allowed to use a completely different definition of GB than the one used in every other computer component and context. That's really the crux of the matter to me.

If you've already removed this discussion from your memory, please ignore this post.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha