Computer Makers Sued Over Hard-Drive Capacity Claims

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Sep 23, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Thank you for my best laugh of the day!

What a bunch of idiots!

Glenn

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

One obvious problem with this is that most people do not realize 1 gb is actually not the same as 1 billion bytes, so how is the customer being misled? I believe I've seen computer ads where the fine print said "20GB = 20 billion bytes" or the like.

How many people run out of hard drive space these days? Anyone else think it's odd this comes at a time when drives are so cheap? I can remember when a 500 MB (not GB) drive cost $500. They've gone from $1 per MB to a little over $1 per GB (a bit over 1/1000 the price) in less than 10 years, so let's sue them. [​IMG] If new cars started costing $30, would these clowns be suing?

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Drives have always been measured that way. Just like the old 1 meg memory chips. They were all 1.024's, actually.

If they are suing companies like Dell for misleading information, then more power to them, but that has nothing at all to do with the drives themselves.

You will actually end up with even less space after formatting the drive. The formatting itself takes up bits of space, even if you can't read the info on the drive, or use it in any way.

And we can do this all over again after the OS is installed. Anyone that calculates exactly how many files of a certain size will fit on the drive of a specified size should really have his/her head examined!

What would you get if you had a binary computer system? And it required no setup (formatting) at all? No wasted space! A drive would be usable 100%.

The drive manufacturer's have no idea what kind of OS is going on the drive. They just know how many bits are on it, and that is all they are responsible for.

Glenn

6. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

I'm usually against many lawsuits because I found them to be a waste of paxpayers' money, but I support this one.
    If somebody sell you 2 kg of meat when it really only weights 1840 gr, would you be upset too?

Cheers,

Vincent

7. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

8. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I absolutely hate frivolous lawsuits, but this one is valid. If a hard drive is advertised at 20Gb, it should have that capacity for storage. Anything else is misleading. I hope they win. [​IMG]

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

This lawsuit is frivilous. Hard drives have always been measured this way, and it's noted in the adds. It's as stupid as the lawsuit over monitor sizes. Most of the adds, especially the hard drive manufacturer's adds, state they refer to 1GB as 1,000,000,000. Technically that's correct, Giga means billion, is a kilometer 1024 meters? No. Only in computer terms is a kilo 1024, hard drive manufacturers use standard numbering to make it look a bit bigger. Big deal, it's a well known fact. Furthermore, it's the hard drive manufacturers, not the computer manufacturers, who do this. Why sue the computer manufacturers? It must be because of ignorance.

Seriously though, who adds up their software and data requirements and says "I need exactly 120GB of HD space, no more, no less!" No one does that. You buy the biggest thing you can afford, and when that fills up you buy another bigger one.

10. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Mixed feelings on this one. Yes, it's frivilous. But the packaging IS slightly misleading. But is it worth spending taxpayers money on? No, I don't think so.

What's next... people are going to sue as they discover their 27" TV's only have 25" or so visible? Or their 17" monitor only has 15" visible? I'm waiting for it...

11. John_Berger

12. Keith Mickunas

Tony, the monitor one happened years ago. The manufacturer's all changed the way they labeled monitors, slightly, because of another stupid class-action lawsuit. The viewable dimension is now always clearly mentioned.

13. John_Berger

14. John_Berger

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

This reminds me of my old complaint about the 2MB floppies that only held 1.4MB's

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

17. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> This whole lawsuit is based on principle.

Yeah, the principle of greedy lawyers suing big companies to line their own pockets. You know damn well that the consumer, the supposed victim here, is going to get next to nothing from this lawsuit compared to what the lawyers will get.

Again, I ask how are customers being deceived when most of them do not know what a gigabyte is? A lot of people talk about their computer having a certain amount of bytes & don't even know the difference between RAM and a hard drive.

Look it up in the dictionary. One definition is "One billion bytes." That's the definition they're using.

18. John_Berger

I really don't give a sh*t what the dictionary says, frankly. The only reason why it's in the dictionary is because of common usage, not because of correct usage. The term "gigabye" was around long before the dictionary decided to include it and it was 1,024^3 back then, too.

"Ain't" is in the dictionary, too. Does that mean that everyone should start accepting it as proper grammar? Go to your local English professor and ask him. If the dictionary says that one million is actually equal to 999,000, should we just blindly agree with it because, "Oh, well, the dictionary said so!"

A gigabyte is 1,024 to the third power. That's it.

Thank you.

19. Keith Mickunas

20. John_Berger