Computer illiterate WebTV user with "new" computer, a couple of ISP questions..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve Schaffer, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've been using WebTV for several years now and finally got a used computer. It's a Gateway with a Pentium 3 933mhz processor and dial-up modem. It has Windows XP already installed.

My experience with and knowledge of real computers is extremely limited so please excuse any really dumb questions.

I haven't set it up at home yet, got a chance to play with it at the former owner's house for a bit but it wasn't connected to the internet.

I want to get on the 'net with it as quickly and painlessly as possible with a service provider that is particularly friendly for a virtually computer-illiterate guy like me, with the intention of switching to high-speed
    access in a few months, probably DSL.

I'm under the impression that in my particular situation I'd be best off with MSN-8 or AOL-8.0 plus.

I see lots of snide remarks about AOL and it's users on the 'net and wonder what that's all about? I already have one of those free installation discs offering 1045 hours free for 45 days.

My other choice would be MSN-8, but haven't gotten a free offer disc from them, so wonder how I'd go about getting an installation disc to get started with them.

Keeping in mind that I'm completely new to real computers and, initially, ease of use is my top priority, what would be so terrible about going with AOL? Or is MSN a better choice?

MSN's website has some free offers too, but I can't find out where to go to get the installation disc from the site as it locks up on my WebTV.

Thanks for your patience.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Thanks Mark.

So I don't need a disc to get started with MSN as my ISP? This new computer is not connected to the 'net at this time. Their site says I can download the MSN-8 software but it will take hours with my dial-up modem.

I just went to a computer store and they said they could get me started with an ISP for $9.99 a month, but I'm afraid I'll be inundated with pop-ups and spam if I go with that option. I get 10 spams a day on the webtv but no popups, and don't want popups on the computer.

4. MarkHastings

This is from their FAQ's

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

My 78 year old father, who is a total noob, just signed up with earthlink. He is quite happy with using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 to surf the web. He can access his earthlink email with his browser also at their website.

When (if) he upgrades to DSL he can still use earthlink.

If you are considering dsl I'd strongly suggest getting it now. Two reasons, one - it is fantastic and two - they send a setup disk with easy to follow instructions. Sometimes they even send a tech out to setup for you. Only a bit more expensive for that. Sprint is offering a special for $39/month for the first year. Not bad. I'm sure theres a good deal in Fresno too.

6. MarkHastings

Eric,

You forgot reason #3...No extra phone line (to avoid busy signals) [​IMG]

7. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Keep your options open with broadband internet. You can choose from both cable or DSL. Both services are relatively the same but each has pros and cons.

8. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I heartily recommend everyone's internet, although I'm in Texas so they may have better service here. Earthlink is also good if a little pricier. Please stay away from AOL and MSN, AOL actually produces popups and annoying marketing IMs on startup, and both are ripoffs price-wise.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I went ahead and signed up for AOL 8.0 yesterday and hate it. I've gotten kicked off or failed to connect more in the last day with AOL than I have in the last year with MSNtv, and the user interface is way too convoluted, not to mention the 3 or 4 spams Per Hour from AOL.

I started a second account with MSN.com and am now using Internet Explorer--feel much more "at home" with it.

Will cancel AOL asap.