computer help! "active desktop"?!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Micah Cohen, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Help! I have this "active desktop" enabled by accident on my computer, and I can't disable it.

I wanted to "paste" an image on my desktop, and I got a note: "To display this image you must have ACTIVE DESKTOP ENABLED, do you want to do this?" And I clicked YES because it was the heat of the moment and I needed to get the image, etc.

Now, I can't DISABLE Windows' "active desktop," whatever that is. It looks awful. I want my old desktop back, but I can't figure out how...

HELP! Anyone?

[​IMG]

MC

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    right click on desktop, go to properties, there should be an option in there to enable/disable active desktop.

CJ

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Ah, yeah. There isn't. For some reason (and I've been in Windows XP "Help" for like the last half hour), there isn't this option for me.

I THINK I got it, tho. I made some adjustments in the SYSTEM thing of the CONTROL PANEL, then reverted to WINDOWS CLASSIC, which is the look I like.

I dunno.

Skip this. This is stupid. I just panicked and couldn't find something on my computer, and I just learned never to download content that "enables Active Desktop," like a transparent GIF or something. Lesson for the day.

I guess. [​IMG]

MC

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i believe your error was that you tried to copy and paste image data on to your desktop, instead of pasting the file itself. for example, it seems like what you did was analagous to copying an image from photoshop or mspaint, then trying to paste that image data into a folder (your desktop). however, microsoft figured you wanted to use their awful active desktop "feature", and enabled it for you.

in short, it has nothing to do with what type of image you copied and pasted, it's the fashion in which you tried to copy/paste.

CJ

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Now that the crisis is over, could someone 'splain "active desktop"?

Jon

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Basic idea is that you use a webpage as your desktop background, allows for a lot of cool things. . . but more often than not it is more annoying than helpful.