What's new

Computer Hangs with NIC (1 Viewer)

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a new HD, and installed Win ME on the system. I followed the tech support checklist, and so far I only have the video card and NIC installed on the motherboard. Everytime I initially install a NIC, it works fine. I am able to succesfully install the latest drivers, and as I continue to update various programs and reboot the sytem, it crashes after post. The system posts every item, and then it stops and the cursor blinks, with the floppy drive light on constantly, and the flashscreen never pops up. Then, when I turn the system off, and rip the NIC out of the motherboard, win ME loads up fine. I can then reinstall the NIC, and get back online UNTIL I begin to reboot, and the system crashes again and the cycle continues. Any ideas on what is wrong? I have tried three different NIC's, in EVERY PCI slot, with the same results. I have the latest motherboard chipset and NIC drivers.

Mobo: MSI K7 Master MS 6341 AMD 761 Chipset

CPU: AMD T-Bird 1Ghz AXia

Memory: Crucial 256 2100 DDR

HD: Maxtor 60GB 7200

Video: Asus V6600 Geforce1

NIC: 3COM 905CX-TXNM

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Check for the error code at the time of failure. Here's a link to the pdf of the Link Removed. Check the first section under D-LED. When the system hangs, check the led code, and head up to their Link Removed with the code.
T

Camp

Senior HTF Member
What brand NIC is it? Do a google search for the brand of NIC and your chipset (or go to www.amdmb.com and search the MSI board).
I seem to remember a specific brand of NIC that has serious problems with certain AMD chipsets. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics.
If that doesn't help...dump WinME. Things will certainly get better without ME. :)

Richard_s

Second Unit
If you did not try this maybe it will help. Go into the BIOS and in the PNP/PCI configuration set "PNP OS installed" use NO. Since your card is a PCI this may not help but it might.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Thom, thanks a ton for your suggestion and link. I searched the forum, and under my motherboard, found several threads that described my problem. It is known as the RTC hang(as that is the error LED shown when it occurs), and there are several theories as the the problem.
Basically, it boils down to a instability issue with the motherboard. I could continue to pour money into various other hardware, but I dont think they will work, except buying a smaller HD, which I dont like, as I would have to make a compromise.
Link that best describes what I feel causing the problems.
Link Removed
Every item in my system is constant EXCEPT the new WD 60 GB HD. THe old HD was 30GB, and the system never exibited the RTC hang, leading me to believe the mobo is incompatible with HD's over 30GB, as the link suggests.
Bottom line, I will buy a new motherboard if the *fixes* suggested dont work out. Right now I am leaning towards the Epox 8K3A+

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks