Computer freezes/shuts off after a period of inactivity

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

This has just started happening: I'll walk away from the computer for awhile, come back, and find that it has frozen (screen often says "windows in shutting down"). Or, sometimes, it will actually shut itself off.

I don't know how to even begin troubleshooting this (anti-virus software, Spybot, and Ad-Aware are up to date).

Windows XP.

Any input?

Thanks,

Jon

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Norton?

Glenn

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

have you even bothered trying a virus/spyware scan yet? start with that,it could be that some files got corrupted or something. how often does it do this?

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm using Norton anti-virus, Glenn; would this cause it?

Mike, here's another way you could have phrased this: Have you tried a virus/spyware scan?

Anyway, Yes. That is why I mentioned in my post that they are up to date.

Jon

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I would go to control panel and check the power settings. More than anything else it sounds like a setting was changed so that your system is set to turn itself off after "x" amount of time of inactivity and sometimes hangs on shut-down because of an ill-behaved program or two. Check all the settings - system, hard drive, monitor.

I'd eliminate that before looking for more obscure problems like adware or spyware. For one thing I've never heard of any such program causing the specific problem you're describing.

Regards,

Joe

6. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

check the indexing service for microsoft. this has been causing problems for people after sp2. my husband had the problem and my father in law had it as well after sp2.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Not deliberately, I think. There are strange goings-on with Norton AV. A few years back I downloaded an update (I think it was in March) and it decided not to check for updates any more - meaning there was something wrong with the update.

This time, and I think it started about 2 weeks back, NAV wants to check for updates. I'm on dial-up so it can't do it whenever it wants to. Anyway, the box comes up whenever I open up an Excel file. If I open up a 2nd Excel file, the message box comes up again! So I close everything out, go on-line and have it check.

It doesn't find anything, so I cut the connection and go back to work. A few hours later, the box pops up again! This might be their way of tell you that they want you to purchase the 2005 edition, which I am sure will fix everything!

Glenn

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Jon,

I'm not close to being an expert on any of this stuff, but if power settings haven't changed, and it's not XP Service Pack 2 issue, it could very well be a piece of malware...Sounds like you may have a service running which is spiking your CPU usage to 100%, freezing your computer and causing a memory dump and subsequent shutdown.

9. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

at first read that doesn't mean that you actually scanned.

this kind of thing is a needle in the haystack. what was the last application you or someone installed on that machine? possibly the freezes are happening since then? lots of variables.

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I've never heard of this. How is this done?

Needle in a haystack? This is a freakin' needle in a hay field. The only program I've added recently, as far as I can recall, is Mozilla Firefox.

Still open to advice.

Jon

11. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

the indexing service, indexes files on your harddrive and stores em in cache so they can be found quicker, you wont really notice much difference by disabling it. go to my computer and right click your hardrive icon and go to properties, there should be a checkbox for indexing the hardrive, just uncheck it,somehow i doubt this is the issue but you never know,stranger things happen to pc's. also BTW if
    want a good alternative to Norton get AVG antivirus, its free and thousands of times better than Norton ever will be. Norton products have a nasty habit of taking over your machine at will, they just arent that great.everyone uses Norton cause its easy to obtain.

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I remember a virus way back when that would try to shutdown the victim's computer at random intervals.

13. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Maybe check the heatsink on your cpu and fan? Some systems are set to go through the shutdown process when overheating.

Have you ever actually seen the computer go through the shutdown process by itself? What does it do directly beforehand? Do you see something doing the Start->shutdown->turn off procedure, or does it go directly into shutdown? When you manually shut down the computer, does it often lockup? Does your computer ever lockup when you're actually using it, or just when it's idle? Maybe go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+ESC), take a snapshot of the processes running and post it so we can see if there's anything odd running?