What's new

Computer DVD VS. Dedicated DVD player (1 Viewer)

JohnBZZ

Auditioning
I've read on some of the forums that many users of higher end Home Theater projectors use their computer for DVD playback instead of a stand alone DVD player?

I have a Radeon 9800 with DVI output in a very fast PC with DVD ROM drive. However, I would never have considered this a viable alternative to a solid component DVD player.

I'm considering a Sanyo PLV-70 which has a DV connector, so I can appreciate where the DV out on my PC could come in handy to avoid all the D/A conversions etc.

Any comment, am I missing something here?

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest visiting the HTPC forum here and on avscience. I just finished my second HTPC project and feel it offers video quality at a min. equal to the Denon 3800. Another advantage is that a PC DVD drive buffers as it reads so layer changes are transparent. I was able to build up a dedicated HTPC for less money than the Denon 3800.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
There is an introduction to HTPC right here on this forum, in the FAQ AND PRIMER, and there is tons of info here in thew HTPC section, as well as AVS.

If you're looking to get real high scaled resolutions out of a DVD player to send to a HD set or front projector, a HTPC will often smoke a stand alone player.

Again, check out the into in the FAQ here on this fourm (link in my sig).

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks