Computer Disposal/Recycling

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chuck C, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

We have a couple computers and monitors we want to get rid of, but the city won't take them. I know that computers and monitors contain lead and other harmful agents, and I've known about computer recycling for some time. What I don't know is where to send them. I found a list of computer recyclers in Ohio including a place in my hometown.... But I always thought that Best Buy, Circuit City, and CompUSA took old computers as well. Am I wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

I've never heard of any box stores taking them. I know there is a place around here that takes monitors for ~$5/piece.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

There are numerous organizations that are dying to get free computers, even the slowest Pentium, in order to give them to kids and families or non-profit organizations that still do not have computers.

Here is a link for companies that provide this service in Ohio.

http://www.microweb.com/pepsite/Recycle/Ohio.html

Additionally, if you give your computers to a non-profit organization you will likely be able to get a tax break. (Hey, even if it's a few buck it's better than nothing.)

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

If the monitors are non-operational there are places that take them too just look around. You may also see if their is an electronics store in town that would take them off of your hands for nothing and then they would try to fix them?

KyleS