What's new

Computer display to RPTV (1 Viewer)

WaltV

Grip
I have recently tried to hook up the coax video out from the video card on my computer to one of the video ins of my rptv.

The computer screen will display just fine on my tv, but when I play a windows media file, or a streaming video, I get sound but a black screen where the windows media display should be. I still get the desktop and borders and curser, just the streaming video is black.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this and do you know how I can get streaming video to display on my tv?

Thanks!

Walt

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a suggestion. First, are you using your TV as a second (extended) desktop, or just cloned? Either way, for alot of videos to work on the second display, you have to set it as the primary. You do this by right-clicking on the desktop, go to properties, and you should have two monitor icons, one for your monitor, the other for your tv. By default, your tv should be the 2nd display. Click on the icon corresponding to the tv, and check the box that says "use this display as the primary" then apply. You should be good to go after that.

By the way, I assume you mean composite, not coax. If you have a hi-def tv, you are really selling your pc short by using the lowest grade connection possible. You should really look at component as the bare minimum, as that is the minimum that will pass a progressive signal. Alot of video card have adapters available to change dvi or vga to component, assuming your tv has those inputs on it. DVI or HDMI would be my first choice, then component, then svideo, composite, then RF (f-type coax). I started out with composite into a little 27" rca tv, and was really impressed with it then. Now I have a dvi connection to a sanyo Z2 Hi-def projector, and wow.

WaltV

Grip
Thanks for the reply, I'll try adjusting my settings, though I can see the computer screen just fine on the tv, just can't see the streaming video, I will report.

And you are right, I am using the composite wiring to connect the video card to the tv. That is the only choice in this case as the only other port on the video card outputs to the computer monitor.

Ok, going to fiddle with default monitor settings now.

Walt

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, you will see the desktop fine, and alot of mpgs and avis won't be a problem either. However, for dvds, some wmvs and some avis, you need to set the display you are watching them on as the primary, or you will get sound and a black screen. I would look at getting another video card with either dual dvi out or vga and dvi out, and use some sort of digital connection to your TV. You won't believe how much better it looks. You can get a good (decent) video card for under $100. If your RPTV is of any size bigger than 30", you will be further ahead to get some sort hd connection.

WaltV

Grip
Thanks for the tips! Works like a charm, except now my computer thinks I have two monitors side by side, but one is really the rptv in the other room.

When I want to watch a streaming video, I start it on my computer screen and then drag it onto the television screen. Does that sound right to you? Then, when I want to move it back, I have to have one of the kids guiding me as to where the curser is then I can finally grab it.

I can't seem to find a control to disable the 2nd screen, (once I change my computer screen back to primary), so I always seem to have the extra screen and, for example, the curser will scroll way over into it if I don't watch out.

Any tips how to switch it off?

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
That sounds like what I was going through as well. It was fine until I moved the computer desk and could no longer poke my head out the door to see where I was, and getting someone else to guide you sucks. What you could try, quick and easy, is either one of these. Set your monitor back to the primary, then right-click on the button on the taskbar for your program. If there is a "reset window position" option available, click that. If it's greyed out, you will have to get out of fullscreen mode, usually alt+enter will do the trick. If that doesn't work or the option is unavailable, again make sure you are not in fullscreen, right-click the button and see if "move" is available. Click it, then use the arrow buttons. After you press an arrow button, you should be able to use the mouse (the window will be "attached" to the cursor).

Since you have already started down the htpc road, you should try to get a remote that works for your computer. That or a wireless keyboard/mouse. Then check this out: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2717 Make sure you read the "please read" link in the first post after the screen shots, it is a complete step by step instruction on how to set everything up.

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks