Computer died

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Kahn, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

My main computer died yesterday, some sort of hardware problem, can't even get the bios screen when I try to start it, just the fans and the hard drive spining up
    lucky for me I have a laptop as a back up but it does not help that I was filling out an application for work on the main computer and can not access it right now but I have another week before It has to be in
    Oh the joys of the computer age and the internet [​IMG]

2. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Just to be silly, did you try unplugging each cable, then plugging it back in? (One at a time, if you're unsure.)

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Does your computer beep on startup? If so, then thats the BIOS telling you what's going on and can provide valuable clues. (you need a speaker hooked to the motherboard for this though, not just your external speakers through your soundcard)

If nothing, then your motherboard is probably fried. I've seen it a handful of times for no apparent reason.

But if so, then your motherboard is fine and something else is amiss. Perhaps your video card/monitor is dead. The BIOS beeps will let you know the status of the processor and memory.

4. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

The official verdict is a dead processor, my cousin came down and we swapped parts into his computer which is almost indentical to mine and everything worked until we tried the chip and then nothing in his computer either, so we put his chip in mine and it worked perfectly.
    so now I have to go though the hassle of sending the chip back to intel to get a new one, at least it has a warrantee

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I've had this happen before on several occasions where the hard drives and fans start up but the system never initializes its Power On Self Test (POST).

In my experience, this is not a failed motherboard, but a confused board. Try these steps...

* Unplug the computer (turning it off is not sufficient) for no less than one minute to allow all of the electricity to drain from the system, and try again. It is very important that the system be unplugged for as long as possible. You'd even be better off unplugging it overnight.

If that doesn't work...

* Take out EVERY piece of hardware, including memory, cards, and processor

* Clean the ports with compresse air and put the memory, processor, and video card back in.

* Turn it on and see it if starts to come up.

* If that doesn't work and the video card is PCI, put the video card in a different slot, and move the memory to different slots while always keeping a chip in slot 0.

* If the system does respond, re-add your remaining hardware, once card at a time, testing the power-up sequence with each card.

* Put the memory back in its original sequence.

It is very, VERY unusual for a system with problems to just up-and-quit like that. Normally if there is an imminent hardware failure, you will get sporradic errors that lead up to a problem.

I am more inclined to believe that it's a confused motherboard, because I've had this happen on three PCs that I was rebuilding in the past two months, and moving around the cards and reseating all connectors usually helps in that case.

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

John, We used that very process to determine that it was the processor chip.
    we had another working computer to put my stuff in to see if any of it was bad and the final item was the chip and it was bad and from what my cousin says (he repairs computers for a living) processor chips do just up and die with no warning
    just have to go through the intel warrantee process now, which can take 3 weeks during which I have to use my laptop, at least I have a back up

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I just talked to Intel, they are telling me about one week for the swap for the new chip
    such is life[​IMG]
    ps already was a P4 1.7 gig chip