Computer Desk stereo speakers - advice please

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Glen C, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Glen C

Glen C Stunt Coordinator

I'm partial to B&W but am looking for small speakers for my computer desk that will let me listen to stereo music in 2.0 (no subwoofers please). I have a stereo receiver that will drive them so no self-powered, "stereo in box" or similar crummy stuff please.

Can anyone recommend a compact pair of speakers that are "spouse friendly". My spare pare of B&W M805s were too big unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Not exactly what you want, but the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup sounds amazing for the size. Small sats and a sub/amp.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Before I got my Swans M-200’s I was considering a similar set up using Paradigm Atoms. Other considerations might be the PSB Alpha or NHT Super One or Zero.

That said, the Swans, aren’t your typical “crummy” powered speakers. They’re a mere $162 at Newegg.com – less than you’ll pay for a pair of any of the other speakers I recommended. Don’t let the price fool you – they look and sound awesome, easily worth three times or more the asking price. And they’ll free up a lot space since you can deep six the old receiver.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

You win...those are beautiful!

5. Glen C

Glen C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I will check these out.

I should have mentioned I need to have AM reception (for sporting events) so the self powered speakers - even nice ones like the ones above present an obstacle.

Any ideas welcome however.

I will try to get to my local hi-fi shop. They pretty much abandoned "retail" and went to "upscale home theater by appointment only" but they might have a few small speakers laying around.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

JBL 4206

Purposefully designed for nearfield.

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I'm in the same boat since I just fried my Gale 3020 PC speakers that were hooked up to the reciever. Those swans look great and I bet they sound good too. I'll look into it more...

edit: where can a guy here in Canada pick up a pair of these? Newegg doesn't deliver to the great white north...

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    According to Swans' web site, they don’t have a Canadian dealer or distributor for the multimedia speakers. If you have a friend in the U.S. maybe he could forward them for you. Or maybe one of your Forum buddies here would be willing to help you out.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I have the same speakers as Wayne (got them on close out from av123 when they carried Diva). I agree, the fit and finish on these speakers is exceptional (on par with $1k+ speakers). The sound is very good for nearfield listening but the bass is lacking (obvious due to enclosure size and bass driver diameter). I have since added an external subwoofer but these are usable as-is if low bass isn't a priority.

Oh, and IMO they look better than the B&Ws!

10. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

I listen within 1m of my energy c-1 and i find them to be awesome! enough bass to shake object on your desk, and they are sheilded, not to mention the price. Also the high end treble is absoloutly superb! i dont usually use much power at all either. I also enoy the c-1s for regular distance lsitening.

Mission m31s are another good near field speaker, a bit less low bass, and a bit more laid back sound than the energys. Oh did i mention the energies are made in canada?

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yeah, I felt the same way despite what some said that the bass was more than adequate. I recently picked up an older-model M&K 50-watt 8” sealed sub on eBay for a great price – good to 25 Hz. It should be delivered any day. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's a great sub! Tight as a drum.

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Thanks Wayne, I have some friends in the US that I'll get to ship me up a pair.

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Great to hear, Michael – you’ll love them. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

15. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

16. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I use a pair of Polk R15's with a cheapo Precision Acoustics powered 8" sub (which has variable xover and volume control). Total cost $220 CAN.

Definitely not reference sound quality, but miles above the ATP3's they replaced.

The R15's are front ported and are quite bright. You will need a sub to tune out the annoying resonant frequency the R15's generate, but the overall effect (with a little EQ found with most software players) is great.

17. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

After a lot of research, I got the Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 215 Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System last year. Not only is the finish very nice (I got the mahogany veneer but they also come in maple), but the sound is better than any other multimedia system I have heard.

Since I bought my set, CSW has apparently upgraded the sub (which is adequate in the model I have but nothing close to the SVS I have at home). The sub powers the speakers, so if you are not looking for a powered system, this is not for you. But if you are, you need to check it out at http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...item=k1pkm22zz

I was so impressed by this system that I later ordered CSW's Mick Fleetwood Signature™ Model Twelve Portable Music System. If you need a portable system, this is perhaps the only one you should consider.

18. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

I use Polk LSi9s and a Rocket ULW-10. Cant say my computer has ever been treated this well [​IMG]

19. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

We started with some of the extra-cheap KLH 910as or whatever Best Buy usueally sells for about $15-$20/pair. They promptly went away when we re-organized the space and put the PC monitor right next to the HT's 20" display, which was NHT SuperZeros.

Since then, I've gone to projection and SuperOnes, but the position is still the same (screen hangs in front of monitor,) so the PC can have music, or the PC can have serious kick-butt sound (games like Deus Ex or Far Cry.)

Or, just in case I want to listen to good music whilst gaming, I've got my original HT proc/amp sitting there, plugged into 4 of said KLHs (phantom center; DLP only) in a tighter configuration around the PC's space.

Yeah, it's generally overkill, but...

Leo

20. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Ahh, zero's...forgot all about those.