Computer Cases

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeAlletto, Jun 10, 2003.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

In planning my next built PC I'm having problems finding a case I like. What I'm looking for is a plain black case (color can vary though). Front USB/firewire would be nice. Mini-tower (3 front 5 1/4 drive slots). No wierd slanting angles, no running lights, no clear side panels.

Most of the stuff that I've found out there has all these clear panels, blue leds all over the place and look like crap. You might as well put racing stripes and a big ol' "Type-R" logo on them. I also would prefer to be able to select what kind of powersupply instead of the el-cheapo ones that most of these places put in.

Anyone have a place they like to shop for cases from?

2. RandyObert

RandyObert Agent

3. MikeAlletto

Yes, stuff like that is what I'm looking for. Basic. How does the front connectors get turned on? Are there just connectors inside that can be run from the mb to the front?

4. RandyObert

RandyObert Agent

I run the USB65 which has front side USB only. All you do is take the connections from the front ports (LIAN provides) and plug them into the existing MB headers. (provided your motherboard has provisions).

If you are running AMD I would suggest something like the Abit NF7-S board.

It has all the headers you will need and is pretty simple.

Lian also has a quick connect setup. After you do the initial connections you can pull apart a single connector to remove MB. I don't usually endorse any single maker of a product but these guys build some really quality stuff.

Abit NF7-S

5. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

This is has become a very popular case: Sonata
    It has front panel usb, firewire and audio ports. It also uses 120mm case fans which helps in keeping noise levels down. Being a Lian-li owner, I also recommend them highly...though they are a bit pricey.

Edit:

Didn't realize the Sonata had a blue LED in the front...still a great case IMHO.

6. MikeAlletto

I don't like that Sonata one. Its got that door on the front. I don't know why they make cases with doors, they just break or will get taken off.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Doors are to cut down on the sound. 5.25" bays are usually the weakest link on a quiet pc on the front end. Especially important when burning/reading a CD at 48x+.

www.colorcases.com has a big variety, but hardly plain ones. [​IMG] This is the closest I could spot.

http://www.colorcases.com/cases/Noblex.html

But it is a great price and looks sexy. [​IMG]

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm an owner of a lian-li pc60, and i love it. as a couple have said already, pricey. but definitely worth the money you spend. i put an exhaust fan in the top of the case, and wired a switch to one of the front panels. i only use it when i am encoding a lot of video, and i'm not in the room, because its REALLY loud. but it also moves a shitload of air, if i put a cd case (with a cd in it) on top of it when its running, it will support it in the air. it may not seem like much, but that is a very powerful fan. lowers the temperature of my case a full 15 degress fahrenheit.

CJ

9. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I also recommend most lian li cases. Hold up well, easy to work with, but kind of expensive.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have the antec 1080 case. it has a door, but it's pretty solid. it's clean and simple. no fancy lights or clear glass or any stuff like that. it does have connections in front for usb2.0 and firewire.

plus it comes with a 430w power supply - antec ps's are pretty well regarded.

oh yeah, you may find this article helpful

http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/20030211/index.html

my case is reviewed in it...