What's new

Computer Audio DAC Meridian Explorer (1 Viewer)

JackWhite

Auditioning
Hi all,

Apologies for this being my first post and im already asking for some help, I have a clevo latop with a pretty good audio output for my Sennheiser IE800 headphones. I have been looking at improving the sonics with a DAC and Headphones amplifier like the Meridian Explorer or AudioQuest DragonFly. Has anyone got any experience with either of these, i'm struggling to find a place to listen to them both as no one has both to listen to.

Thanks in advanced.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Jack, no need to apologize. Welcome to HTF!

I don't know much about DAC/Headphone amps, but I have this one:

http://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=4&Itemid=186

That Meridian Explorer is twice the price, but it goes up to 24bit/192kHz. My uDAC-2 and the DragonFly are limited to 24bit/96kHz.

The only thing about the uDAC that is questionable is that the analog outputs are variable--adjusted by the volume knob. Most other DACs seem to have line-level output.

Good luck in your search!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm by no means the expert on USB/DAC/AMP modules for headphones...but.

I have a feeling that no matter which you chose(of those two), you wouldn't know the difference, specifically, between them. However, either one will be lightyears above how you listen now.

I would choose based on need...

Do you need the optical out the Meridian provides?

By the way, the extra "sampling rate"(if that is what you call it???) of the Meridian is probably "just because" it offers the digital output.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
DAC discussion is very controversial for a variety of reasons. If you're searching for a transparent DAC for your heapdhones - I recommend the ODAC or Objective DAC. It can be purchased in combination with the excellent O2 or Objective2 amp at JDS Labs. If you are curious about anything in particular - please let me know.
I will say that the cost is not worth it for most high $$ DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks