Computer as DVR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrentG, Jan 19, 2004.

1. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

While doing some video editing this week end something just suddenly came to me. I already have the abilty to use my computer as a DVR. Everything that get fed from my Yamaha V2400 also is fed in to my Fire Wire in on my computer in the next room. I also have the software to record the incoming signal right to my hard drive, so you see I have a DVR for free already.

Ok the question, only thing I don't have is a way to set the computer to record at a set time for a set amount of time. Is their any computer software out their to do this? If not their should be.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Snapstream seems to be the most popular but there are others.

-Robert

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

If your recording software will run from the command line (the 'run' command) then you can use Window's own task scheduler to start it at a certain time and run for any number of minutes you choose. A lot of DVR programs actually work this way , just behind the scenes.

4. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

That is kinda what I was thinking. I know I can get the program to open at a schedule time but their is no way to real tell it to start recording that I know of.

5. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I use the Hauppauge 250MMC and it comes with its own software for timing recordings. Most video cards with TV capability have software bundled with it for this purpose.

6. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

I was hoping to keep from getting any sort of TV card for the computer, have no use for a tuner or the inputs really. I have a Sony converter that allows me to put any Composite or S-Video source in through the Fire Wire (IEEE-1394) Port. Through the same device I can export to any S-Video or Composite.

7. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

So Brent what software are you using to record from the firewire input ????

8. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

I have Media Studio Pro by Ulead that I use for doing video editing of home movies and such. I can plug my JVC MiniDV camcorder right into it. I also have a Sony converter that converts S-Video or Composite into Firewire so I can feed old VHS stuff into the computer and convert to digital. Then burn it all to DVD. It can be alot of fun to play around with, and take up alot of time before you know it, LOL. Oh and monster hard drive space is a must!