Computer as CD source

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jacob C, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I know that HTPCs give a lot of bang for the buck in DVD quality but I was wondering how computers (not necessarily a HTPC) are on CD sources when connected to a receiver via a digital cable? I wasn't sure if I should post here or the HTPC section but this question doesn't really involve all the complications of a HTPC so I decided to go here. If my PC will make a good audio source I can save the trouble of buying a crappy CD/DVD player "to get by" until I get the money for a dedicated units. Also, can the digital outputs on most sound cards pass a bit stream or do you need something special for that? I wont be getting my goods till probably March otherwise I would just experiment.

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I currently have mine connected by analog L/R and I doubt if you could the difference in sound from the original CD.

3. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I will be using a panny xr55 and word is they are best with digital input.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

There's a number of factors to consider here...first is obviously how was the file saved to the PC...was it a direct rip of the wave file or was some sort of compression used (MP3, AAC etc). Assuming its a wav file then the next issue comes from the sound card used. Most sound cards including those that are built into motherboards resample the signal so you're not getting a true signal back even if you use the digital output...which you should as the analog outs use the cards DAC which is almost always horrible. The M-Audio 2496 being one of the exceptions.

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I think he's planning on playing the CD "live", not ripping to and playing from a file. It's always important, when doing this, to enable digital audio in the CD drive rpoperties -- and don't even think of connecting the PC internal L/R audio cord [that little red/black twisted-pair thing]!

6. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I plan on playing the CD through the CD-player and sending it to the receiver through a digital connection.