Computer as a part of HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Is it possible to use computer monitor as a TV and DVD-rom as a DVD/CD player for the HT?

I don't have money for big TV, and don't really have room for it in my studio, so it could be the perfect solution for me...

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Yup. Works great. Also there's an HDTV card out there somewhere...

Some dude here has a hell of a setup using..well, I can't describe it.

nOhrs, SVSx2, unreal.

- CM

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jedd,
    There is a whole world of HT called "HTPC" using a PC as the centerpiece of home theater.
    "Computers as progressive scan DVD player, video processor, HDTV tuner, music jukebox, automation controller, Internet/game machine, and more."
    The scaling ability of HTPC based DVD playback when coupled with a hires projector is stunning. I run a dedicated HTPC in my system- and the Picture Quality cannot be touched for under $5000 in scaling. All that for $1500.
    We have a modest HTPC forum here on the HTF:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=13&daysprune=
    But if you want to get HARDCORE, AVS has an excellent and highly technical forum dedicated to HTPC with every possible function you can imagine:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=26
    Lots of guys there have complete automation and programming interfaces (like Girder) that allow them to completely control the PC by remote and have it behave as a stand alone piece of AV gear. They even hvae HDTV recording direct to harddrive, and the ability to include automation of outside items (curtains, mattes) via macros in the PC.
    It is simply an amazing tool, if you're adept at PC use and tweaking.
    -Vince

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Holy silicon, Batman!

I've been trying to get my techie friends into HT...I think this may work...BWAHAHAHAHA

5. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Wow, that's great!
    I need to buy a new computer and want to buy audio-system, if they will work together as HT it will be outstanding. [​IMG]

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Thanks, nice links.

The only thing I can't find there - which monitor to use. There are a lot of discussions about Projectors, big HDTVs - but they all way out of my small room and even smaller budget.

What about odinary 17' hitachi monitor, can it be used as a display for DVD movies?

8. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

depends on how close you are to the monitor! you can be very close to monitors without hurting your eyes, so a 17" would work if you were four feet from it! i had a 19" through most of college and at five feet away, it wasn't terrible for watching DVD movies.

9. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

So, if I buy a modern computer and spend aditional $100 on a video card, I could use $300-worth monitor instead of the $3000-$5000 monsters and have relatevly good perfomance, right?

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

11. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

I'm going to buy computer anyway, so why not to make it HTPC.
    And the big additional bonus I will have with it - I could listen to my stereo when I work and won't need to move the speakers when I want to watch "TV". [​IMG]
    What about ProScan, can videcard+monitor combo utilize this feature?

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i have my entire HT setup routed thru my computer. i use the DVD player in my computer to watch movies on the 19" monitor. make sure your sound card has a digital output so you can run a coax cable to the receiver to get 5.1.

using a computer as your transport and/or DAC is the best 'bang-for-buck' solution due to its tolerance level for imperfection (zero). from what i understand, the DVD player in my computer will rival others that cost thousands more performance-wise.