What's new

Computer and HT (1 Viewer)

Daniel_S

Agent
Hi everybody,

At the moment I'm looking at my options for true HiFi speakers for my computer, as I am just not satisfied with MM speakers (big fan of music, but I am only 15 so I don't have much experience with higher quality speakers so bear with me). Basically, I am going to get either a M-Audio Audiophile or a Terratec DMX 6fire LT. Then I am going to hook it up to a surround reciever. From there the reciever will power some tower speakers most likely, like some axioms or rockets. I have looked at each of these cards, and am a little confused about how I would connect everything.

Both cards have analog stereo outputs, the terratec has optical digital out (TOS link) and the audiophile has spdif. Now, is spdif the same as the coaxial inputs on a reciever? And would I be able to use the optical digital out to connect to the receiver? Also, I see 6 analog inputs on most recievers, while these soundcards only have stereo analog outputs (as well as a few CD changers I have seen...EDIT: haha, of course, music doesn't use 5.1 encoding, that's for dvds...lol). So would I be forced to use digital if I wanted surround to work correctly? (As you can tell by now I'm a bit of a n00b:) ) Or has that been the way it's always been?

Lastly, would all of this "work"? Would there be any forseeable problems I could run into?

If anybody has done this I would GREATLY appreciate any advice and some direction. Links to guides and how-to's are also welcomed!

TIA:D

Daniel_S

Agent
I was looking at the H/K AVR 525's manual and it seems that the coaxial digital and optical digital ins both accept s/p-dif output from computer sound cards. Odd. So I suppose I would connect the sound card to the reciever's coaxial digital in using my s/p-dif out, and then use normal analog speaker wire to connect my reciever to my speakers. Is this correct? EDIT: s/p-dif must be the optical digital and the coaxial digital uses the RCA jacks, I think I have it now...

So, instead of optical digital, would I use something like this: h ttp://w ww.axiomaudio.c om/coaxial.html

EDIT: I haven't posted 15 times so I can't post links...so I broke up the URL. Just paste into your address bar and sew it back together:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks