Computer -> 5.1 or 2.1 + hi-fi speakers??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ned*C, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Ned*C

Ned*C Auditioning

Hey there people, I'm new.

I am looking to add a 5.1 system + hi-fi speakers for games/music at my computer. Currently I take a line out of the back of computer that goes into 2 aux/Minidisc in hi-fi. How would I add this to it... ebuyer.com - search "49368" I know its 6.1, but hey....

If this isnt possible, how about (ebuyer search "74746") 2.1 + hi-fi = 5.1 coming from computer. How would I connect them both into computer?

I dont have much money yet. When I get a summer job, Im getting a massive widescreen [​IMG]

I hope this makes sence.
    Cheers.

2. Ned*C

Ned*C Auditioning

Ok no replies... is there normally one cable coming from sub that you'd plug into computer (or dvd player i assume)?

But I kinda need two imputs. I could get a small mixer, but that's expensive condsidering the 2.1 I'm looking at.

Any thoughts at all? [​IMG]

3. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

normally the best way to do it is to hook your computer to a receiver. If you play games and you want positional audio you will have to do this by using the analog outs(you will need 3.5 mm -> RCA converters) but if you just want to watch movies in 5.1 and get some better quality sound out of music...just use the digital out(3.5mm(mono or stereo)->RCA needed)

4. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

Hi, Ned -

Take a look at the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 kit. It provides a full 5.1 speaker THX-certified solution, with just enough control and features so you're not using your computer to make constant adjustments. Cost about $400.

You will need a sound card for your computer that has a DIGITAL OUTPUT, or at the very least a sound card with discreet 6-channel analog audio outputs. A decent card for games and basic PC-based home theater is the Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS. Cost about $100.

If you want to interface your computer with a full-blow home audio/theater system, all you really need is the sound card with the digital output, a cable, and an external A/V receiver - and lots of speakers an speaker wire. *grin*

Greg