What's new

Computer 5.1 help needed! (1 Viewer)

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running a Dell 8300.

The sound card is an integrated 5.1 thats DD5.1 capable.

I had been running 2.1 speakers, and tonight I got a good deal on some 5.1s.

So I hooked them up, and they basically all sound off. I'm not getting speaker specific sound like I should.

I know there must be some settings that I need to flip over to 5.1, or theres a driver issue or something.

They didnt come with any disks....

Any Ideas?

Thx!

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Go to the Control Panel and look for Sound and Audio Devices. At the bottom you will see Speaker Settings. Click on the advanced tab and use the drop down menu to select 5.1 surround sound speakers. I'm not familiar with that Dell model, so I don't know if it has additional speaker settings.

Also, unless you're dealing with a Dobly Digital signal, you might not get sound out of all 5 channels.

Anyway, good luck.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I tried that already :frowning:

I thought I found the answer when I did, yet no luck.

I was using a few DVD's to test it out, so I'm sure that my source is right.

I also used the THX optimizer on my Evil Dead 2 dvd, and it clearly shows that the speakers are not working properly.

They all produce the same sound at the same time.

I'm stumped!

thx

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
i have the audigy2 and i have to make additional settings before i get all 5 channels...

have you tried Dell's forums?

i have a Dell laptop and i've used their forums a number of times when i ran into problems.

sorry i couldn't be of more assistance.

john

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I fished through about 65 pages on the audio section of the Dell forums....Partial luck....

A few people have experienced the problem.

After fiddling with more things, I am now leaning to thinking that my power DVD player is the problem. It comes up as "Dolby Surround" and not Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. So I need to find another dvd player that supports 5.1 so I can test more.

After my fiddling with some sound options, I played a little bit of Max Payne 2. The surround seemed to work well on it. I didnt get the "all at once" problem that I had with dvd's. So that furthered my suspiction of an older version of Power DVD.

Yet I wonder if its "EAX" ready. Looks like I have more research. I may just upgrade to another 5.1 sound card instead of the integrated one. Yet before I do, I want what I have to work like its supposed to. Then if I dont feel the quality is there I'll go for another one....

Thanks again for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks