CompUSA and Harry Potter: Round 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

FYI, CompUSA is offering Harry Potter at the $9.97 price once again, but I doubt many will be stocking many widescreen copies, so please don't turn this thread into a CompUSA bitch-fest. Feel free to report on the availability/non-availability of either version, but don't slag on CompUSA for offering a 10:1 ratio of Full Frame vs. WideScreen versions.
    We've been there, done that, no need to go down that road. I will delete the BMW (bitching/moaning/whining) posts on CompUSA corporate decision making. I think CompUSA simply is trying to get rid of all those gnarly Full Frame version copies they have in their warehouses.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Funny, I *just this second* posted the Weekly Roundup, to include that information as well as the price on some other titles they're advertising, including four new releases!

3. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a CompUSA within 30 miles, but I took their previous $9.97 Harry Potter ad to K-Mart and they matched the price on a widescreen copy. Then I came to HTF and saw all the controversy about widescreen vs fullscreen on this title, took the same ad to Wal-Mart and bought a fullscreen for the same price.

Tuesday morning I'm heading for my little cluster of stores (K-Mart, Target, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart) with the CompUSA ad to get Monster's Ball and Buffy at lower prices than they're offering.

I love CompUSA, even though I've never shopped there.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

OT, not starting a debate, just wondering Kurt, why did you buy the widescreen & the fullscreen version?

5. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

I just used the flyer to do a price match at
    Block Buster. Worked fine.

6. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

I price matched the Comp USA "Potter" Ad at Best Buy (Richmond & Post Oak) yesterday (6/11). I wasn't sure if they'd do it, but I had no problems at all.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

8. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Perhaps he wanted to fill his screen, just like in a movie theater, or perhaps he doesn't like those pesky black bars. Or perhaps, like Everest, he found that it was there...