Compromising Bit Rate

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Scarpa, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm getting tired of having Fullscreen Compromising My DVD's. Look at the current release of IDENTITY. You have both P&S and Widescreen and and Extended Branch version, deleted scenes, Featurette, commentary and more crammed on a Dual Layer disk. As opposed to the Widescreen Version being layered over the disk. So instead of maybe a 5 or 6 GB main movies we get barely 3 GB and I'm tired of it. I Want what DVD originallly promised Superior quality and not compressed Garbase.

Off my Rant now.

2. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

I agree entirely! If studios absolutely must put both versions on a single disc use a DVD-14. RSDL side for widescreen and extras, single layer for P&S.

3. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

While you certainly have a valid complaint about some DVDs in general, you've picked a bad example. Here's why:

* The movie runs only 90 minutes.
    * The extras really don't take up that much space: The "extended branch" version adds less than a minute of running time, the featurette adds only 14 minutes and the commentary takes up relatively little space, especially considering that there is just one 5.1 track and one 2.0 track for the movie.
    * Most reviews have given high marks to the DVD's sound and video quality for the widescreen version of the film. For example, Peter Bracke at DVD File noted about the image quality:

"Detail is often excellent: this is a very dark film but shadow delineation never suffers, with fine textures always apparent and a very sharp and film-like look. Columbia TriStar usually does fine work, which is in evidence here - I noticed no real edge enhancement and despite all the extras, no major compression artifacting. Pretty terrific."

And about the audio:

"Excellent frequency response results in a full-bodied sound, with crystal clear dialogue despite all the thunder-clash and aggressive effects. Separation and imaging across all channels are excellent, with an often 360-degree soundfield that is very effective. Low end is delivered forcefully, and the minimal score is nicely deployed throughout. Like the transfer, great stuff."

I'm curious to know what you found poor about the widescreen version's audio and video quality. You didn't really say.

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well the movie is dark and perhaps the Lack of Bright Daylit scenes save on size vs compression, but i've had many 90 min movies that go 4-5 gb in space just for the film. I still think they've could've used a higher bit rate if they were'nt intent on including both versions of the film. I did watch it and it was good but I still think it could've been better.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

so how are you going to explain movies with 4.7Gb filled to the brim with worse picture quality than this movie?

(file) size does not matter

it's the encoding process that matter most.

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

7. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

David, that is fine (MGM did this with a few titles like Legally Blonde and Terminator) but it still won't have pretty pictures and artwork for Joe Six Pack to look at.

Doug