Compressed ,rar files

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Camp, May 16, 2003.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Managing .zip files in WinXp is pretty much a thing of the past as Windows can now open them. However, WinXP doesn't know what to do with .rar files -and .rar seems to be gaining popularity.

Is there any freeware that can open .rar files? I was using a piece of shareware called PowerZip. I just refuse to pay $20 for a piece of software I'll rarely use.

Less important to me is to understand why .rar files seem to be more common. Zip files seem to work well and WinXP handles them natively, so why even bother with .rar? Just curious.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

RAR will break a large file down to multiple smaller files. It's used (almost) exclusively with newsgroups (Usenet) so that when downloading binaries you can download them a piece at a time rather than restricting yourself to one enormous download that can be lost if your connection drops. New versions of RAR also have CRCs built in to correct any corruption that might have occurred during the download process.

As you stated, for reasons that defy logic it is gaining populrity for even small file transfers when Zip is the tool that should have been used because of its universal nature.

Just use a tool like WinRAR or PowerArchiver. Be careful on which version you use. Older versions of PowerArchiver have difficulty reading newer RAR files.

3. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I'll second WinRar...

Todd B

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Just because something is universal, doesn't mean it's the best solution. Rar is infinately more flexible, has better error recovery, often does a better job of compression, etc. RAR is gaining popularity because it's a better system than zip, and many people (like myself) like to go with a single system for all compresion needs-- you should find this a refreshing idea that something that is BETTER can come along and dethrone a less robust product, even if it has become a standard.

Winrar is free. Check out http://www.rarsoft.com or http://www.rarlabs.com

5. John_Berger

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, WinRar is $29.

Thanks for the info though guys. I guess it's nice having the error correction. Sure wish WinXP could decompress .rar's without a helper app though.

I did find a free .rar application. It's called "ExtractNow". Here's a link: http://nmoin.brinkster.net/en/

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Stuffit Expander will open most anything including .rar. and it works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Solaris. Oh, and its free on Mac and Windows.

.sit, .zip, .tar, .gzip etc.

http://www.stuffit.com/expander/

8. John_Berger

WOW! Even Solaris? That's very cool!

And I thought that Stuffit was only for Macs! Time to download!

9. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

I'll second Vince's recommendation of RAR over ZIP. ZIP is universal, but RAR almost always compresses better than ZIP. When I'm about to upload something, I always run both. If the difference is small, I'll go with ZIP, but I've had numerous RAR archives that compress %5+ better.

Another plus, aside from RAR's error recovery, is that it can handle huge files, while I believe ZIP is limited to 2GB. It's good for backups... [​IMG]

10. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

I switched from WinZip to WinRAR about three years ago because of the better compression and better explorer integration. In fact, I never use WinRARs interface directly.

To create, I just select the files, right-click, and select "Add to archive...".
    Extraction is just a right-click away. WinRar is smart enough to guess the next volume name, whether the set is named file.00x or file.partx.rar

I also like the ability to see the archive details on a tab next to the file properties.

One more thing: WinRAR can extract most self-extracting installers, so you can inspect the files contained before installing the program.

I guess I should reg it one of these days :b