What's new

Comprehensive NON-OAR LIST (V2) (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
About BLACK ORPHEUS:

I was first made aware of the issue when browsing Martin Hart's excellent AMERICAN WIDESCREEN MUSEUM site. Black Orpheus was included on a list of CinemaScope films here (scroll down to 1959). I e-mailed Mr. Hart and pointed out what I believed was his error. He replied that Black Orpheus was in fact shot in CinemaScope, due to some sort of arrangement with the French production company that had a stake in the process. If I remember correctly, he said that he confirmed this with Leonard Maltin himself (who I actually don't care for as a critic, but I have the utmost respect for his abilities as researcher and preservationist). I'll see if I still have Mr. Hart's e-mail where he discusses this. I tried to contact Mr. Maltin through his website but got no reply. :frowning:

ALSO when cleaning my apartment recently, I came across a flyer from a recent Seattle screening of the film, and lo and behold, the CinemaScope logo was there.

I have yet to see it in Scope myself, and in fact I haven't watched the DVD since I became aware of this info.

As always, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always in search of the most reliable information.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Add The Master of Disguise to Columbia/Tristar.

OAR: 1.85:1
Cropped to 1.33:1
Year: 2002
You can get it in OAR in region 2.

Definitely not a good movie, but it is not in OAR, so it must be on the list!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Have to add Litte Monsters to this list. Anyone know any other recent titles to add?

PHP version of OAR watchdog is coming VERY soon, so watch out for that.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Black Orpheus is indeed 1.33:1.

I found a few posts on newsgroups which confirm that theatrical showings were presented at Academy Ratio.

However, it's possible that the English dubbed version was converted to 2.35:1 or it was just a mistake on marketing materials.

Furthermore, the IMDB is now listing the AR as "1.66:1" for the film.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The Bridges of Madison County
Warner Bros.
OAR: 1.85:1
Region 1: 1.33:1 Pan & Scan
Region 2: 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

I am not allowed to post links, but this information is available at the IMdb.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Fox will be releasing an OAR SE of The Commitments on 3/16/04.

Warner has an OAR SE of Police Academy coming on 4/6/04, but with non-OAR Police Acedemy 4: Citizens on Patrol and Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Rudolph The Red-Nose Reindeer: The Movie by GoodTimes. On DVD it is presented as 1.78, but the OAR is 1.33.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I personally believe Stanely Kubrick movies should be listed. With the exception of 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, his movies all exist now in full frame (reportedly at the director's request). I think that is hogwash. DVD was still relatively new when Mr. Kubrick passed, and I really believe he would have released them the way he shot them had he hung around a bit longer. Clearly his decision was based on television and home video use. But if full screen was the way they were intended to be seen, he should have shot them full screen, but of course, he didn't.

I have personally held off on buying "Full Metal Jacket" (which I personally love) for the simple fact that it is full screen. I bought "The Shining" because it has Jack Nicholson and because I didn't know it was full screen. I will never buy "Eyes Wide Shut" because I think it's a big steaming pile of crap.

Is "Barry Lyndon" DVD in widescreen? I ask because it recently aired in widescreen on HDNet.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Thanks guys. I'll be adding these to the list when the script is finished. It's almost there. In the meantime, I'll just say this. According to everything I have read, Stanley's films were shot open matte, that is that they were shot in the ratio of 1.33:1. They just were not shown in the theaters in that ratio.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Stanley's films were shot open matte, that is that they were shot in the ratio of 1.33:1. They just were not shown in the theaters in that ratio
Then they need to put a disclaimer, much like they do on P&S chopped up video releases, like the following:

This movie has been altered from its intended viewing size in order to fit the theatre screen.

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
"Just One of the Guys" - that 80's comedy classic, will only be available in foolscreen (2/24/04). Let's all thank Columbia for that one. :angry:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Columbia:

Matilda was shot in Super-35

Criterion:

Black Orpheus has been proven to be 1.37:1 Academy
This link goes to a French poster with NO mention of CinemaScope. In 1959, CinemaScope would HAVE to be mentioned on a poster. Video guides aren't that accurate on aspect ratios, anyways. I think Maltin also lists Lawrence of Arabia as "2.76:1" and "Ultra Panavision" in an older guide of his.

Warner:

The Bodyguard is getting a 16x9 SE
Chariots of Fire is getting a 16x9 SE
Police Academy got a 16x9 SE
Police Academy 4 and 5 are open matte.
Purple Rain got a 16x9 SE

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Thanks Patrick. I've made the appropriate deletions. Matilda will not be removed, because it was released to theaters in the widescreen format.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Frantic (1988) Warner - is available in R2 in an anamorphic widescreen 1.85:1 transfer

Last Night (1998) Universal - is available from Alliance Atlantis in Canada only in a 1.85:1 non-anamorphic transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks