What's new

Comprehensive NON-OAR LIST (V2) (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The original thread was getting so long-winded that I decided to start a new copy. I know that some of these have been announced/released in widescreen since the last update so I am trying to to weed those out. Please look through this updated list and post any corrections needed. Please note that this list is mainly for Full Screen titles that should be in widescreen. See bottom of this post for more info.

Thanks to John Berggren, Scott Weinberg, and Ryan FB for their help in this effort!

The list is now at http://www.widescreenadvocate.org/watchdog.php

Nathan McMahan

Stunt Coordinator
Remo Williams, of course, is missing and Amazon Women on the Moon was just released in OAR in a Collector's Edition.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
MGM's LAST TANGO IN PARIS is overmatted. The Criterion LD has the theatrical OAR of 1.66:1, but the MGM DVD is overmatted to about 1.90:1. Headroom is too tight!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The list has been updated. As far as movies that are only slightly undermatted/overmatted, I'd be adding two new titles a week if I added one evreytime someone had a complaint. If it hasn't been confirmed by a member of the cast or crew, then I'm not adding it to the list.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Joshua,

In regards to LAST TANGO would screen caps convince you? The DVD is definitely MAR but for some reason it has never been an issue on the HTF (to my knowledge).

Also, isn't WB's BEN-HUR missing info from all 4 sides?

Columbia's ROAD TO WELLVILLE is P&S (I believe).

Artisan's THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN is too.

Disney's NEW YORK STORIES is, I believe, open matte when it should be 1.85:1.

Also, I understand every copy of MEET THE FEEBLES is MAR although I don't know if it's P&S or open matte.

QUEEN VIDEOS are 16:9 when they should be 1.33:1.

Oh, and it pains me to say it, but you must add CRITERION to your list. Their copy of BLACK ORPHEUS is a pan & scan version of a CINEMASCOPE film. This has been confirmed by Martin Hart of the American Widescreen Museum. Plus, I have a flyer from a theatrical screening here in Seattle a few years ago that confirms Cinemascope on this picture.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

Thanks for reminding me!

THE EVIL DEAD has an OAR of 1.66:1. (Source: THE EVIL DEAD COMPANION, I can get you author & publisher info, or you can check Amazon.) The DVD is overmatted to 1.85:1 and as a result a visual gag is lost.

Also APOCALYPSE NOW is cropped on the sides.

Columbia's THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER is P&S. Compare with the widescreen trailer included on the disc itself!

Also, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO is available in OAR from R2 or R3, with English subtitles.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I need you to be more specific when listing titles, including dates of theatrical release, and studio. Also, a link to the title on IMDB or amazon.com would be very helpful. Otherwise, I find titles listed on on amazon.com as anamorphic widescreen, like Excalibur and Army of Darkness

Also, I couldn't find studio/date of release info for Meet the Feebles.

As, I have already stated, overmatted/undermatted titles will not be added to this list. This list is mainly for Full Screen Only titles that should be in widescreen.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg)
Released by Fox Lorber
Cropped to 1.59:1
OAR is 1.71:1
Released in France on February 19, 1964
Released in the United States on December 16, 1964
Available in OAR in Region 2, ***BUT*** there are two versions: the Tartan Video version is cropped to 1.77:1, the France Video Distribution version is what you want.

IMDB Listing: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0058450/

DVD Comparisons here: http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/umbrellas.htm

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Anatomy of a Murder is likely 1.66:1, not 1.85:1. The screenshots I've seen from the R2 1.85:1 version are too tight in framing.

From other threads, Jade is 1.33:1 per director's request.

Ben-Hur is fine for horizontal picture, but has too much matted on the top and bottom. I'm suspecting either WB was trying to fake the 2.76:1 ratio or that the source had some nasty splices that needed covering up. It actually has MORE horizontal picture than a 35mm dye-transfer mag sound print! I wouldn't really call it non-OAR, but rather misframed. Misframings really need their own list.

APOCALYPSE NOW was changed to 2:1 per request of the cinematographer...

Bob Roberts is 1.33:1 on DVD per director's request.

Is Black Orpheus REALLY pan & scan? I find it hard to believe that Criterion would do something like that. The IMDB says it's 1.66:1, yet it has had a 70mm blowup.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have revised my inclusion specifications. If the DVD is Mis-Framed, it should be included on a seperate list. Feel free to start one if you feel it is absolutely necessary.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Anatomy of a Murder is borderline. I'm guessing it's supposed to be 1.66:1 since the 1.85:1 version reveals a little more horizontal information.

So, perhaps it should be in an unmatted list.

Any film with an aspect ratio difference reccomended by the filmmakers should be omitted.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure about the first two, and I couldn't find anything more, but the current versions all state that they were modified to fit my screen.

Lovesick - Warner '96
Leave it to Beaver - Universal '97
The Trouble With Angels - Columbia '66 (has been discussed here).

Others that I verified that are FF only
Tank - Goodtimes '84 IMDB shows 1.85:1 shown in 1:33

It Takes Two - Warner '95 IMDB shows 1.85:1 shown in 1:33

MVP: Most Valuable Player - Warner '00 IMDB shows 1.85:1 shown in 1:33

Glenn

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I've just added quite a few more. Feel free to double-check my work. I'm unsure about some of these, and there's no way for me to verify these, since I don't own any of them, and the listing on the back is not always correct. Keep the additions and corrections coming. I want to be as accurate as possible.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg)
Released by Fox Lorber
Cropped to 1.59:1
OAR is 1.71:1
I am sure the film's OAR is not 1.71:1, as that is not a standard AR. 1.66:1 is the most likely candidate. But, as Joshua has said, these sorts of differences aren't what his list is for.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks