Composite video cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RaphaelZ, Dec 10, 2002.

1. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

Him my tv only has the yrllow, composite video jack so thats waht I've been using for my DVD. The cable is one of those $20.00 deals, 1/4 " thick, nice gold plugs, insulated, etc. It was labeled as "didgital video cable". Its not Coax. My question is whether I should use a coax cable with RCA tips for composite video, or stay with the non-coax cable from the same brand. Whats the diff? The other cable is labelled "coax video cable". They both have RCA tips.

Thanx

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You probably won't notice any difference.
    All video grade cables are round and are coaxial with the "ground" as a cylindrical braid or foil surrounding the "hot" conductor. (However not all round cables are video grade.)
    I can't say for sure, but I would consider the digital cable to be better. Digital to me suggests a higher bandwidth which composite (yellow jack) video does not need.
    The other, and critical, issue is impedance, which should be 75 ohms. Again, cables are often not labeled with impedance and most users assume that cables labeled "video" are 75 ohm.
    Avoid using a flat, for example with a groove running lengthwise like a lamp's power cord, cable for video. This is a non-coaxial cable with the two wires running side by side. YOu will get a picture, but it is much more apt to have interference that typically shows up as thin parallel lines running through the picture.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm