Composite vid cable - how long is too long?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinM, Sep 23, 2002.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I'm going to have to move my equipment out of harm's way (Baby!!) and that means a 30 - 40 foot comp cable for video. If I use decent quality stuff, will I notice a difference?

DVD/LD switched thru an HK AVR 210, 40 ft run to a Sony V42 27". (Soon to be RCA 38" if plans hold true)

Thanks for any info...

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Cable companies typically roll out 100 feet of coax then do frequency response curves to show how the cable performs. They basically brag about performance with 100 feet. Your 30-40 foot distance should be no problem.
    Some of the custom sites that will build this cable for you are:
    www.bettercables.com
    www.wickedcables.com
    www.heartlandcables.com
    www.catcables.com
    www.bluejeanscable.com
    ebay (search for "Canare")
    Note: all of these sites use very good coax & connectors so you could send HD signals to 100" projector systems with their cables. Component video should be no problem with any of their offerings.
    Hope this helps.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Thanks, yeah it helped.

Just looking for reassurance.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

PS: Many of these custom sites are only a few people. One thing to ask is that you now buy a 30 foot cable. But then, ask if in a few years could you send the cable back and have them cut it down into one or two smaller cables when the kids learn to not mess with the electronics and you want to re-wire. This long cable may run you $150, but the advantage to dealing with these small companies is that they are often willing to go the extra mile for you.

And then, you will come back to HTF and post about what a great experience you had with them, and they get a rush of new business because of this.

Good Luck.