Composite to S-Video converter on DLP projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fernando Schaeffer, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Fernando Schaeffer

Fernando Schaeffer Auditioning

I've seen several threads regarding the composite to s-video converter, but haven't seen any specific on projectors.
    I have a DLP projector (Infocus 340) on a 100" diagonal screen and the TV cable signal that passes through the VCR to the receiver and finally to the projector is composite, as the VCR has only composite video outputs.
    My question is: For cable viewing, would I see much image difference if I used either:
    a) a new S-Video VCR to feed my receiver
    b) a composite to S-Video converter placed between the composite VCR output and the receiver?
    Assuming the image would be much better, which alternative would give me a better result?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

For cable TV viewing, expect the external composite to S-video converter to degrade the picture compared with a decent 3 line adaptive comb filter that more than minimal S-VHS VCR's and TV sets have. Inspect the picture for smooth boundaries between contrasting colors, without dot crawl.
    If your projector has a decent comb filter for its composite input, you might as well keep the all composite path and the ordinary VCR for cable TV. Use S-video or component video for your DVD player.
    For VHS tape viewing, you may not notice any difficulty with the composite to S' converter.
    More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 12, 2001 at 08:18 AM]

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Assuming your TV has a good comb filter, there would be no improvement in putting a converter in the path of the signal. Instead, if it is a cheap converter it may well make the picture worse. I use an s-video converter only because it allows me to switch all my components via my receiver. In my opinion this is the only significant reason to use one. I don't believe that my converter degrades the signal, but it certainly doesn't improve it.
    SMK

4. Huey

Huey Agent

I bought a SVHS JVC HR3800 VCR with Svideo in and out for $130 from www.onecall.com and this improved my analog cable TV and VHS rental tape immensly via my LT150 DLP projector. I tried the composite->Svid converter from Ratshack for $50 and there is no improvement (no worse either). If you really want to improve cable TV, get digital cable TV as they have Svideo out from their cable box. Satellite TV with svideo will give you the best image for NTSC IMHO. But for analog cable, SVHS VCR is worth the expense for improved SVHS recording as well as improved imaging via Svideo.