What's new

Composite to S-video cables (1 Viewer)

Art W

Auditioning
Has anybody had any experience with Ultralinks composite to S-video cables. Or any other brand for that matter. I was thinking of upgrading my vcr's to these cables. Seeing they do not have s-video connections. Do these really work?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Radio Shack also sells a little composite to SVideo converter for $20.

While they do work..the quality is not great, but this may be acceptable for the few tapes you watch.

BACKGROUND:

Ever read ad's for TV's that brag about a "Comb Filter"? The Comb filter in a TV converts composite video to SVideo. In a tube-type television, it is the most expensive part of the TV. To do a good job, the circuit must be made with very pure materials and each one must be tuned to work correctly.

While these little Radio Shack, Ultralink converters will work, it wont work as well as the comb filter in your TV. So expect a slight drop in picture quality.

But I'd do it for the ease of use so all my sources were SVideo going to my receiver.

Some other options:

- Buy a Super VHS VCR. These come with SVideo outputs for about $230.
- You can buy out-board converters for $300-$600, $12,000

Good Luck.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Art, I saw the same Ultralink cables and was very interested in them. I emailed the company, but got no response. I then did a search at www.partsexpress.com and found an s-video converter plug that works great and is very inexpensive. Its made by Dayton (part no. 180-140 or 180-141) and costs only $5.95
BTW I asked almost the same question in this forum back on July 18th and got some good advice from Bill and Bob. Do a search for "Ultralink" and you'll find it.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks